cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 candyman

candyman

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

Hi there. I just got a free computer tonight. It is a few years old. Standard white box PC with Win98SE as the OS. I have a router with 2 other PC's connected. I never had to set up a home network. They just connect as though they were connected directly. I've never had any connection problems or anything. Both of the other computers are XP Home edition. For the life of me I can't get this one to connect. It has an ethernet card which is showing on the system and is "working properly". Also, when I try to set up a new connection it says "failed to load Internet Connection helper wizard". So, I put the win 98 disk that came with it in the drive. I got a message saying that the version on my computer was newer than on the disk. Also when i try to install ms networking off of the 98 disk, I get the error message "cannot find icsapi32.dll". So, now I'm at a loss. No idea how to get this (insert choice word here) computer on the internet. And apparently the win98SE disk i was given with it (a burned copy btw) doesn't have all of the components on it. It seems to run fine and fairly fast other than that. Am I missing a simple step?

#2 candyman

candyman

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Nevermind. Oops... needed a new CAT-5 cable. Apparently the one I had laying around was no good. I have a different problem though. I will make a new post for it though.

Thanks

#3 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button