*********CHECK BELOW FOR FixWareout LOG*******************
One fine day, I switched on my laptop and went right to Google. I wanted to search for some stuff. After clicking on the search button, I discovered, to my horror, that none of the search results were relevant. There were results from auto insurances, credit card companies and the likes but not a trace of what i had originally wanted to search for. I tried performing a search for various things and all returned the same results...more advertising results!
I then tried to check my gmail account. when I entered my email id and password, it prompted me again to enter my user id as "it cannot be left blank" and under the password field it read " cannot log you on at this time". I tried tried and tried again but to no avail.
I then tried searching on yahoo search....the same results as google...just more insurance and credit card ads. and sometimes it displayed an error 999 (yahoo could not display ...blah blah blah....) I also tried getting into Orkut (google's net community)....the result " page cannot be displayed"
Has anyone had a similar problem before. Is there a fix for it? I was using 8.0i when the problem started (it was disabled...dumb me!). I now have McAffe 8.5i with the spyware module installed. It has managed to locate and delete a lot of stuff but google, gmail and orkut are still not working for me on my machine. I even installed Ad-Aware and ran a scan. It detected some stuff and deleted it....but this seems like a deep rooted problem...
I would be very thankful to anyone who could help me find a fix for this problem. Thanks guys!
Please read our Forum FAQ in order to find out what info we need (HijackThislog) so we can help you.
Fixwareout Last edited 5/15/2007
Post this report in the forums please
»»»»» Postrun check
»»»»» Misc files.
»»»»» Checking for older varients.
Search five digit cs, dm, kd, jb, other, files.
The following files NEED TO BE SUBMITTED to one of the following URL'S for further inspection.
Click browse, find the file then click submit.
»»»»» Current runs
"AOL Spyware Protection"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\AOL\\AOLSPY~1\\AOLSP Scheduler.exe\""
"IntelWireless"="C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\Wireless\\Bin\\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless"
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe /Consumer"
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"Pure Networks Port Magic"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\PURENE~1\\PORTMA~1\\PortAOL.exe\" -Run"
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
"ShStatEXE"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee\\VirusScan Enterprise\\SHSTAT.EXE\" /STANDALONE"
"McAfeeUpdaterUI"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee\\Common Framework\\UdaterUI.exe\" /StartedFromRunKey"
"MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
"Yahoo! Pager"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\Yahoo!\\MESSEN~1\\ypager.exe\" -quiet"
Hosts file was reset, If you use a custom hosts file please replace it
»»»»» End report »»»»»
I was able to resolve the problem by running FixWareout!!! Great piece of software for greater peace of mind. I was at my wits end trying to figure out what went wrong and what could be done to fix it. I scanned through the forum for posts with similar problems and each time I found FixWareout being suggested as a potential fix for the problem. However, no one seemed to get back with their results and hence, I did not know if it really worked at all.
But now that it has worked splendidly for me, I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the people working their ass off trying to fix others problems for free.
For others who might find it helpful, here is a statement of my initial problem in brief:
each time I entered a search in Google, I would get irrelevant results, the tope ones being "Top Ten Insurance", some e-bay links, monster links, mortgage, porn etc. So i decided to try Yahoo instead. When I tried searching Yahoo, it either returned the same results as google or would display a Yahoo 999 error...search cannot be completed ...etc.
I was even unable to get into Orkut (Google's web community) and Gmail. But now everything is working fine.
On a personal note: I would advise anyone who has found help, either by skimming through the forum posts or steps provided by the admins of Spywareinfo, to atleast make the results of their implementation known.
Thanks once again.
Edited by damien_assisi, 05 June 2007 - 06:08 PM.