Some malware is having it's way

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OldCranky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:25 PM

I've been computing since the mid 80's but I don't know everything and I have a problemmmm, oh do I ever.

I built a new computer about a month or so ago and right from the beginning I have had a problem. Now let me back up a bit and give you some detailed info about this computer and it's problem.

For a long time now I've had a somewhat shaky computer, (sick motherboard but not dead) anyway it finally gave up the ghost. I had Win2000, SpyBot, AdAware, a good AntiVirus app and paid for Zone Alarm and the computer ran pretty fair right up till the day it crapped out. I had replaced a failed hard drive and figured it was time to move up to XP. THEN me motherboard died. I got a real nice Asus mother board, new AMD CPU and 2 GIGS of ram. I had to go through walking over glass to avoid buying another copy of Windows XP but I managed it. This as a direct version of XP from Microsoft not a computer mfr with a lot of crap on it. Now being the "old" I started with DOS5 and no Winders at all.

The very next thing to install was eTrust Anti virus, Zone Alarm (paid for), AdAware, and SpyBot. All were updated then run. So in my mind this was a pretty good, clean install, and safe too. Reboot and then up to
Microsoft for a batch of updates. Reboot again then I was headin for a software install.

Understand this was a clean install this wasn't Win95, updated to Win98, then to WinXP and finally to XP. The was XP installed on a new, clean hard drive, by the book I should say.

Now you have my configuration and computer history. Let's get to my problem. For some reason a dialer screen keeps popping up for no reason, most time two of them. I close em. Then carry on from there. I just can't figure out what's bringing up these dialer windows. It's the same historical, dialer window that pops up with Outlook Express not the other, more modern looking one.

I can't figure it out plus there seems to be a lot of data sent. Hang on, lemme see...937,468 bytes in and 7,994,992 bytes out, go figure. This situation is really bugging me because I can't figure out what program it
is. I thought it was my HP all in one printer buy HP denies it. I'm at a loss even though I've been tinkering with computers since the mid 80's, yes, I know I'm an old fart. Help me out anyway, okay!

John Belanger
Who invented these damned things anyway?

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,522 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button