Speed up super slow old machine??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 candyman

candyman

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

Alright so I was given an old AMD machine. Really old. It has a 2GB hard drive with the Windows 98se on it. And a second 6GB harddrive with everything else. The 6GB is mostly empty. But, it only has 256 RAM and AMD-K6 3D processor (which I believe is about 10yrs old?). So I know it's going to be slow. But, good lord! IE kept perfoming an illegal action so I put Firefox on it. When I open Firefox, it takes about 5 minutes to finally open and load. When I type a web address in the address bar the letters come up about a second and a half after I actually type them. I'm giving this to my sister because her computer just died, but I'm wondering if there is anyway to speed it up at all? She would pretty much only be using it for internet access. I have cable and it seems slower than I remember dial up being! it took 189 seconds to load yahoo.com a few minutes ago. It just doesn't seem natural. Even with the small RAM and old processor.

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button