• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kypsadmin

kypsadmin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:32 AM

Hello everyone,

I have started a new service that lets you log into popular websites (Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Google Mail, and others) using one-time codes instead of your normal password. The idea is to protect the confidentiality of the password when using computers (such a Internet cafe computers) that could be running spyware or keyloggers.

The service is called Keep Your Passwords Secret (KYPS) and is provided for free.

This could be useful to people who sometimes want to check their email using an Internet cafe, but do not want to carry their laptop with them all the time.

I think that this service fits under the category of "spyware prevention" (although it does not "prevent the spyware from running", but at least it prevents it from learning the password).

Any feedback about the service and ideas about how to make it known to those who might find it useful is most welcome!

Best Regards,
Andreas

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

SWI doesn't endorse this, but it looks OK to me. Very strict privacy policy there and it appears legitimate. I do think it could be somewhat awkward to use:

3. Using KYPS requires you to change the proxy settings of the browser you are using. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that you are allowed to make such a change. The provider of the KYPS service cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with any rules that are in effect at the venue or location from where you are accessing the service. You acknowledge and accept that the provider of the KYPS service does not in any way urge or invite you to change the browser's proxy settings, if you are not allowed to do so. Moreover, if you are using KYPS from a shared or public computer, you must restore the browser's original proxy settings when you finish your session.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 kypsadmin

kypsadmin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Using KYPS requires you to change the proxy settings of the browser you are using. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that you are allowed to make such a change.

Hello,

First of all, thanks for not treating this as (unwelcome) advertisement. Secondly, yes, you are absolutely right; having to change the browser's proxy settings is not only awkward, but is also a real restriction in practice, because many Internet cafes do not allow the user to make such a change.

A future version of the service will work completely over the web - like a reverse proxy (such as e.g. zelune.net). I hope that, until this is implemented and tested, the service is still useful the way it is.

Regards,
Andreas

#4 kypsadmin

kypsadmin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

Hi again,

Just wanted to tell those interested that it is no longer necessary to change the browser's proxy settings in order to use KYPS. :D

Best Regards,
Andreas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button