#51 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hello again,

Iím sorry for the delay in my reply once again, I am really struggling to get to SWI at the moment.

Thanks for posting your Kaspersky report.

Using Windows Explorer, please could you delete this file:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\1024\ldBEC6.tmp <--- This file

Can you tell me is your rebooting problem still occurring and if so with what frequency?

Thanks.
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#52 salvation

salvation

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

hi. i deleted that file. what was it? (i remember there were two other temp files you asked me to delete earlier in this thread but i couldn't locate them. i don't know if that was something we should have looked into further?)

the spontaneous rebooting is still occurring but it's pretty random. it happens about every few minutes for a couple of hours at a time. when that happens it's obviously really difficult to do anything so i just put the computer in sleep mode and come back a little while later. then it's fine for a day or two (usually not more than two). i don't really notice any distinct patterns that would indicate overheating or anything - for example, it doesn't start after the computer has been on for several hours. many times it starts first thing in the morning. so...the mystery continues!

thanks again for all your help. i'm beginning to think we won't find an answer?

Edited by salvation, 25 September 2007 - 09:51 PM.

#53 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hello again,

In trying to find out what might be causing the spontaneous rebooting problem that you are having I have sought advice from several of my colleagues here at SWI.

From the symptoms described and having been able to discount this being a malware related issue following the various scans which have been run, it is looking most likely to be related to either a flakey power supply connection, or possibly a problem in the power supply itself.

Intermittent problems are always hard to resolve and fixing remotely is likely to be impossible. You may need to consult a Ďliveí person with voltmeter etc available.

If you have another power cable available, I would certainly try it. You could also open the computerís case, gently remove most of the dust, reseat the connectors and see if it makes any difference . . .

I am sorry that I canít come up with anything else :(
Chancellor

Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#54 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hello again,

We do have another suggestion to try which might achieve some results, on the rebooting problem.

There is a known issue with the first official releases from Adware in that they were buggy and it is known that the service in combination with the related drivers may cause these random reboots.

To that end, could I ask that you try uninstalling Ad-Aware from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, reboot and then see how it goes?

If this doesn't clear up the issue, there are a few other things we can still look at to see if we can get some more specific information on precisely which application is causing the re-boots.

Please let me know how you get on!

Chancellor

#55 salvation

salvation

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

Sorry, I didn't receive the notification of your last post so I didn't see it until now. I came back to tell you that I haven't had a problem for almost two weeks, which is the longest I've gone since this whole thing started. Maybe it's just a coincidence or maybe the cause of the problem is just "dormant" and laying in wait to strike again. Either way, should I not doing anything and see if the problem reoccurs? Could it have had anything to do with that last temp file (ldBEC6.tmp) you asked me to delete? I don't know what that was.

#56 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hello again,

Not to worry about the notifications - they seem to be a little bit buggy since we upgraded the board software!

I am pleased that you have been "problem free" for a little while at least - it might be a good idea to see how it goes since it is behaving at the moment. It could have been a consequence of the last temp file - but unfortunately might also be a hardware problem or perhaps a problem with a memory chip gone bad or something of that nature. Of course, if anything else happens, do let us know and we'll look into it again!

Thanks for all of your patience whilst working through the diagnostics and fixes :D
Chancellor

#57 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a new topic.
Chancellor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button