PC restored: virus protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shea29

shea29

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

I have done a PC restore (to bring the system back to factory settings) on my Dell... I had been dealing with virus, trojans , spyware, etc... Now that I have clean PC I'd like to get opinions on best or really good spy/adware and virus, firewall protection. . I do not want to go through what I just dealt with.. Thanks in advance.

Edited by shea29, 13 June 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#2 shea29

shea29

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

Is SpywareBlaster and or SpywareGuard necessary with SuperANTISpyware?

#3 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

Fist, you need an antivirus, and a firewall. These are not expensive, as good, free programs can be downloaded.
Antivirus, AVG, or Avast.
Firewall
Sunbelt Kerio, or zonealarm
For general spyware, AVG antispyware is good.
The best suggestion I can give is to use Firefox as a webbrowser and install the extension Nosscript.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
I also suggest that you delete any files from "temp", "tmp" folders. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" => "Internet Options" => "Delete Files" and select the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK" twice. Also, empty the recycle bin by right clicking on it and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin". These steps should be done on a regular basis.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button