• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mayhem

To everyone suffering CWS hijacking

7 posts in this topic

It appears there is a S**T load of people getting this at the moment. Almost the posts today have been about it ;)

Anyhow... to save on time, effort and the whatnot, anyone who has successfully succeeded in removing it, please give details about how to do it, so anyone can follow? Maybe make this a sticky so new users can see it too? There seems to be a number of possible solutions based upon the depth of problem, so feel free to contribute any successful method so any can be tried :)

Symptoms: Search page on a blank IE boot.

Running HijackThis lists an sp.html file in the Registry, located somewhere

Running FindnFix locates a dll file that can't be opened, located in windows/system32

Varient of CoolWebSearch, probably CWSearch.X

I appear to have successfully removed CWSearchx from my Windows 98 system. Symptons were as you described. Shredder, Adaware, Hijack This, Spybot removed symptoms but not the core. The challenge was to identify and remove the hidden .dll that is activated on bootup.

See here for how it was done.

Good luck -- hope it works for you.

BobO

This is what I am saying... because if you see... just about everyone IS complaining about it... one place to get ALL solutions!

All solutions will not work for all and there is some danger that damage could be done.

But members have posted "one size fits all" solutions - not guaranteed by SWI -

- Identified - and removed - the hidden startup CWS

- about:blank - information

and I seem to remember others.

Just about everyone who posts their problem here will eventually get helped, and it could be better to wait.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0