#1 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Howdy...

If you are reading SWI Community News and find it useful, please post a comment to let us know... If it isn't helpful to people, there isn't much point in putting it together each month... If it is helpful, it would still be good to see your ideas for what you would like to learn more about... Please post and let us know... If you don't want to say much, just a note to say you read it would help...

Thanks...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#2 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:01 AM

Frog Croak, Frog Croak, Frog Croak.

Woops sorry.

Read-it, read-it, read-it.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

Frog Croak, Frog Croak, Frog Croak.

Woops sorry.

Read-it, read-it, read-it.

Well, thank you... but you helped write it!! :rofl:
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

A lot of things were said that have needed to be said for a long time. You guys do good work. Its definitely a class act, but the paucity of response makes me wonder if there were any listeners?

One of those times where I am hoping to be wrong. :)
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#5 marcmeier

marcmeier

Fully Confused Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Read and appreciated.

#6 BigBooch

BigBooch

Dispensing Poison To All Evil-Ware

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

More Cow Bell !!!

Just Kidding - Very good selection of topics with concise intro's and links to the more expansive details for those who wish to partake a more filling draught of the amber fluid.

One suggestion for your consideration - Jazz it up with a weekly "Evil-Ware Stumper" or some similar brain-teaser for people to solve to peak interest and keep the fans coming back for the answer in a future issue.
If You Don't Know Where You're Going,
You Can Only Be Half-Way There . . .

SWI support site. Donation link and discounted software deals, daily security-related news and much more.

#7 Fred_Flintstone

Fred_Flintstone

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

Read and appreciated.. keep up the good work!. :thumbsup:

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#8 simcoe

simcoe

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

:thumbsup:

#9 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:42 AM

Interesting edition.

Very PC Magazine-esque.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#10 Foxcub

Foxcub

Reader

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

Studied, enjoyed Jedi`s finds.

With thanks,

Foxcub

#11 Foxcub

Foxcub

Reader

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

Studied, enjoyed Jedi`s finds.

With thanks,

Foxcub

#12 kazzoo

kazzoo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

Only suggestion I would make is to get it on the front page of the Website.
Unless you are in the know it appears that nothing has changed since late 2006 as far as News and Links.

To the the average person it looks like a dead website no longer maintained and not a place reflecting the professionalism, skill and knowledge of the volunteers and experts.

Really, would you trust and frequent a website that has the reputation of being cutting edge in anything if the first thing you saw was outdated/no longer relevant information? I think not.....

Regards
Kazzoo
Badgers? I dont need no stinkin Badgers!

Spyware removal tools:
Prevent Spyware:Just how did I get Infected?
Online virus scanners:
Tools-Use Only when instructed:
How to:

#13 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:24 AM

Only suggestion I would make is to get it on the front page of the Website.
Unless you are in the know it appears that nothing has changed since late 2006 as far as News and Links.

To the the average person it looks like a dead website no longer maintained and not a place reflecting the professionalism, skill and knowledge of the volunteers and experts.

Really, would you trust and frequent a website that has the reputation of being cutting edge in anything if the first thing you saw was outdated/no longer relevant information? I think not.....

Regards
Kazzoo

The reason we are publishing this is that we don't have access to the main site... That is controlled by Mike and Mike is no longer available... We are hoping people will explore the forum and find the news here, especially since several have asked about the lack of a newsletter from Mike... So yes, it is a good idea and we can't do it... :blink:
Budfred

#14 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

Good stuff of course, keep it coming :thumbsup: .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#15 bagger015

bagger015

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

Very nice job with the newsletter. Spyware and malware are not going away anytime soon. Nice to know that this site is here if one should get infected by whatever is out there. Keep up the good work. Greatly appreciated............ :thumbsup: :whistle:

#16 Blair

Blair

GeeksToGo

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Great concept, great execution. Keep up the good work.

P.S. you missed November. ;)

#17 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:26 PM

I'm sure they're disappointed and discouraged by the declining number of views in recent issues.

Edited by screen317, 03 December 2007 - 11:26 PM.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#18 daveydoom

daveydoom

Sounding the crack of doom for malware

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

Good job folks :) . Always a good read. I'm sure none of you have lots of time to spare so I would like to applaud your efforts here.

Regards, Dave

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#19 Fred_Flintstone

Fred_Flintstone

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

Had given up hope of seeing another one this year!... :evilgrin:

Good stuff as always, much appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Fred..

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#20 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

I've just finished reading it and thought it was brilliant... :thumbup:

Budfred - absolutely spot on! As one of those out there helping (although not as much as I would like at the moment), it makes such a difference to see a topic where someone has taken a bit of time to go into detail about what the problem is and how it is affecting their computer.

You also hit the nail on the head about people running just one scan, noticing a lack of popups and then thinking everything is clean and going off still infected! I have noticed a few repeat customers lately!

It also helps keep me going when someone actually lets me know everything is cleared up, instead of just disappearing without a trace :whistle:

I think the points you have made should be pinned somewhere maybe with the FAQs under a "Help us to help you" thread :D

Jedi - Can't thank you enough for the Adobe Reader Speedup Posted Image I tend to receive PDFs daily and only ever want to read them not have them make coffee and sandwiches, so I grabbed a copy of this immediately and am absolutely delighted with it!

I am just downloading Secunia PSI and will also give Defraggler a look later.

You have certainly picked a few gems here!

I missed TheJoker's "Good, Bad and Ugly" this month too!

Please keep the newsletter going and thanks for putting so much hard work into it over the year - it is really appreciated!

^_^

Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#21 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,252 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

I missed TheJoker's "Good, Bad and Ugly" this month too!

That will be coming... tune in again later in the week... :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback everyone... Others please chime in too...
Budfred

#22 ipl_001

ipl_001

Security Admin at Zebulon.fr

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi Budfred, Jedi, TheJoker, hi everyone,

Your December publication was read (even TheJoker's ;-) ) and appreciated, be sure! Thanks a lot for the excellent choice again!
Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

As usual, I posted a message speaking about the latest issue on a private section.

Now I would like to get your authorization to translate the Newsletter into French and publish it on the public forums of Zebulon.fr... may I?

Edited by ipl_001, 01 January 2008 - 11:47 AM.

Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred
Has SWI saved your system? Please, consider making a donation!

#23 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have read it... As always with a great pleasure... :)..
Great work!!.. :thumbup:
Posted Image

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#24 sandman

sandman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

As mentioned by someone else, I assumed that this site wasn't going anywhere because the front page hadn't changed in a long time. A stupid assumption! (I know: "assume" makes an ass of (yo)u and me!)

By chance, I checked the forums about a month ago and found that, in fact, there is still a lot happening here. I think that the "Community Newsletters" are excellent: interesting, useful, informative - great work all round! Please continue to produce them. :thumbsup:

#25 simcoe

simcoe

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

I think its great! I look forward to it each month :thumbup:

#26 davidb231

davidb231

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Thank you all very much for the newsletter and your continuing work. You are all truly admirable folks who don't get the thanks due you. :thumbup:
If you'd like to contribute to help with the costs of running Spywareinfo

#27 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Now I would like to get your authorization to translate the Newsletter into French and publish it on the public forums of Zebulon.fr... may I?

I think this is a good idea, and I've given ipl_001 permission to use my articles, but obviously I can't speak for the other contributors. :)
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#28 ipl_001

ipl_001

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hi jedi, hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the permission (by PM)! :thumbup:

In my humble opinion, translating the newsletters into French would help both SpywareInfo with increased fame and the French readers: some who can speak English may come to the Boot Camp, some who don't will benefit from your very good advice and improve their level and maybe become local helpers!

Thanks again, jedi!
The newsletters are really excellent!
Gérard MS_MVP-1.gif asap2.gif Don't give up... that is what they want us to do... Budfred

#29 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

You have my permission (for langauge conversions) for my articles - either just the short extracts in the newsletter - or the full articles from MWR.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#30 ipl_001

ipl_001

• Ambassador
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Chris! I appreciate a lot! :thumbup:

#31 firstimer

firstimer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi friends, It's the first time I visit here in a long time. You did a great job with my computer, and especially the antivirus etc you recommended and I'm using have been great.
I'm finding your "news" and tips for the first time. THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR WORK, very valuable.
Best wishes for the New Year. :thumbsup:
firstimer

#32 davidb231

davidb231

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Howdy...

If you are reading SWI Community News and find it useful, please post a comment to let us know... If it isn't helpful to people, there isn't much point in putting it together each month... If it is helpful, it would still be good to see your ideas for what you would like to learn more about... Please post and let us know... If you don't want to say much, just a note to say you read it would help...

Thanks...

I read it and enjoyed it very much. I was especially appreciative of The Jokers article on information warfare. The question of national security vs privacy is a hotbed of misinformation and I feel the more light shed on the subject the better off we will all be. Thank you Jedi for finding Wordweb and sharing that little gem.....yes! :) I can spell again and am in your debt.

Hello to all my friends and teachers here and I'm very glad to see the fight against malware continuing ...
If you'd like to contribute to help with the costs of running Spywareinfo

#33 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for the feedback davidb231. I'm afraid the Community News is something we found too difficult to sustain on a regular monthly basis, with all the other commitments the staff here have, but hopefully we can post more in the future, albeit on a less regular basis. I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button