Explorer.exe closes without errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ub3r-l33ch

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

System: Mine that I built

First of all let me get this out of the way. I know my way around a desktop computer very well. I have built them, repaired them, etc. I am very good at troubleshooting software and hardware, I have been doing this many years for a living. I have not used spyware protection or an anti-virus for 2-3 years on my main PC and up until last night I have only gotten very minor annoyances, nothing major, been using the same install of windows for about 2 years now. I have Windows highly tweaked with very few services/processes running, only 15 on startup (yes, only 15). Don't try and lecture me on running windows with such minimal resources and processes, EVERYTHING works just fine, and I like it this way, Windows is extremely bloated on a fresh install.

So I was on the net last night surfing a few websites and downloaded a few small programs to help a friend out with something because he doesn't have an internet connection right now. After I was done I noticed explorer.exe was crashing. I could restart it from the task manager but it would just instantly crash again even if I didn't do anything else. Normally I just go to safe mode, run a few utilities and everything is fine. Well, even in safe mode explorer.exe is closing, also without errors.

I can still run programs via the task manager's start > run option. I have tried using these so far, fully updated:
Lavasoft Ad-aware Remover
Swat It
AVG Anti-Spyware
Did not notice any unrecognizable processes in task manager
Nothing out of the ordinary in the windows startup, just the 2-3 usual things I have seen in there for almost 2 years

I am very familiar with hijackthis, when I do a scan I get about 8-9 objects in the list, all of which I recognize and know what they are. I do not see any unrecognized processes in task manager, everything looks fine there. I do not see anything abnormal in the startup when I use msconfig or go to the startup area in regedit.

It is interesting to note that if I run the command "sfc /scannow" with the XP SP2 CD in it will scan for any altered files and finish fine. Whenever I reboot after doing this I get a BSOD. To get back in to windows I have to go to the startup menu and choose "last known good configuration". Everything goes back to the same after that with explorer.exe closing everytime I try to start it. Because of this I am not even 100% sure it is spyware or a virus, maybe explorer.exe is just damaged. I highly doubt this though.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,522 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button