BIG COMPUTING PROBLEM.... HELP URGENTLY NEEDED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

My computer is in a very poor state, earlier today(saturday 17th June), I turned my computer on and it goes into a black options page stating that my computer did not start successfully, which was either due to a power failure or becuase the Power or Restart button was pressed, it gives me 5 options:

1. boot in safe mode
2. safe mode with netwroking
3. safe mode with command prompt,
4. last good known configuration or to
5. start windows normally

I chose to start windows normally(option 5)

Then after a few seconds, I'm taken to blue screen(which doesn't appear to be a good thing), stating that windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to my computer. The computer then restarts. The same process happens time after time, until I turn the computer off by pressing the power button. I can't access nothing(my files, the internet, nothing at all)

I'm really upset as I fear that my computer may be permanantly damaged and I have tons of essays I need to complete for university :weep: . I've only had my computer since autumn 2005 and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this.

I just don't know what to do to be honest. I'm not sure if it's my battery or if worse a virus, which is causing this problem.

Please I beg if someone could help me fix this problem.

Kind regards :weep:

#2 pcxotto

pcxotto

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

[Don't panic (yet). I’m a certified (employed) pc tech and I can tell you this is a very common problem although it can be caused by may different things. The black (w/white text) menu that you described is the ‘windows safe mode selection menu’ and it is supposed be displayed when the pc has been shut down improperly. FIRST…Simply unplug the computer from the power outlet for 30 – 60 seconds.then plug it in & try to start it. NEXT (re)start the computer and as soon as the power comes on start repeatedly press the F8 key. Tapping F8 when the pc starts or reboots will bring up the safe mode menu. When you see the menu choose (hi-lite) “last good known configuration“, and hit enter.
Don’t be discouraged if pc doesn’t boot. Next try (standard) safe mode selection. Lastly…If pc still wont boot there are several things to do. If you, or someone you know, is “comfortable” with opening the pc case then the system should be checked for obvious hardware / board problems, i.e. hard drive cable connections etc. Sometime just using the win xp cd to run a simple scandisk can fix it.
So you can, at least, be trying a few things while waiting for the official swi teams response. You may be down but not out
GOOD LUCK 
What doesn't kill you...Usually hurts a lot

#3 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,523 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#4 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hi there,

OK, I think the first thing to do is to save your important University data, before we try to fix this.
Plug your laptop into the mains, don't run it on battery.
Have a CDRW or a flash drive ready.
Now start it.
From the options screen, select Safe Mode.
Assuming it boots into safe mode, OK the prompt that asks if you want to continue in safe mode, then go in and transfer all your important data onto the CD/Flash Drive, then remove the CD/Flash Drive. Now whatever happens you won't lose your work.
Once you have done that, shut down the laptop and let me know.
I also need to know if you have a Windows XP install disk, or if Windows came preloaded with the laptop, were you supplied with a recovery disk?

If it won't boot into safe mode, let me know that.

jedi
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hello Jedi & lweber2112

Just to clarify my laptop is a HP PAVILION ZE2000

Jedi, my laptop doesn't boot into safe mode, it just shows a blue screen stating the error message: unmountable_boot_volume and then restarts. This continues to happen over and over again. I don't have a Windows XP install disk.

lweber2112, I have visted the support and drivers section of the HP Website and it states all files and documents will be lost, which is what I don't want to happen, but at least theres a chance for my laptop.

I would be most grateful if both of you can help me out :weep:

thanx

Edited by Mr.Micah, 23 June 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#6 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

I also need to know if you have a Windows XP install disk

Please.

jedi
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#7 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

sadly I don't have a windows xp install disk

#8 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

Hi again,

OK, basically, this message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME means your Boot Sector is corrupted, and needs to be repaired via the recovery console, and you need to boot from a disk in order to repair it.
If you can't do that the PC is effectively dead unless you can reinstall Windows, or run a repair install. You can get as far as the recovery console with any Windows XP install disk, so do you know anyone you can borrow one from?
Alternatively, do you have a floppy drive on this PC?

jedi
jedi

#9 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

I'm terribly sorry for not being present, I've been bombarded with exams.

Anyway I'm back, if possible can we continue.

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm not sure whether it will help, but I found a cd that was supplied with my laptop. The name of the cd is "Operatiing System CD for Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 2". Is this the right one????

I decided to do some research on the "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" problem. I found the following information, which states that if I boot from the operating system that all Personal data and software installed on the notebook will be lost during the process.
Most of the information I found is present on this website, please click here: http://h10025.www1.h...0#c00035720_doc

I know my laptop will be fixed using this procedure, but I have so much important documents that I haven't backed up.

Thanks for being patient, I hope that you can help me get my laptop up and running

Edited by Mr.Micah, 28 June 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#10 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi again,

which states that if I boot from the operating system that all Personal data and software installed on the notebook will be lost during the process.

No, that's a misreading of the article, Option 2:

Option 2: Re-install the operating system, drivers and applications

will lose you your data, and I understand you don't want this, so I will not be doing this, there are several other options to work through before you have to consider that.
What I want us to do is to try to repair your OS via the recovery console, which will not lose your data, as it will repair the existing OS rather than replacing it with a new one.

So, take a look at Option 1, I think that's a good place to start, running chkdsk may fix the problem and if not it's a good way to get you familiar with the recovery console, and there is a way of repairing a corrupted boot sector from there also.

But let's do Option 1 first. Here it is:

Start the computer with the HP Operating System disc in the CD or DVD drive. (In other words, insert the disk you have, then restart the computer so that the disk is in there when it restarts)

Press any key when prompted to boot from the CD or DVD.

A blue screen will appear and several files will load. This process takes about 30 seconds to complete. You should not have to select anything from the keyboard. (It will probably ask you to press F6 if you need to install 3rd party hard disk drivers and F2 to run automated recovery. Ignore those, they will time out)

At the blue setup menu, press R to Repair a Windows XP installation.
[attachment=1696:attachment]
You will be asked to press Enter if you want to use a custom keyboard layout. Either wait for the 5 seconds to expire, or press Esc to get this following screen:
[attachment=1697:attachment]
By default there is no password for the Administrator; just press Enter.

At the C: prompt, type chkdsk /r (Note the space between the k and the /)This repair process may take 30 - 60 minutes depending on the size of the hard drive and repairs needed.

After the chkdsk completes, type Exit at the C: prompt.

Windows will restart. Eject the CD or DVD and it should continue normally.

If you have any questions before you do this please ask. And, as I say, if this doesn't fix we will repair the boot sector using the same method. None of this will lose your data. :)

jedi
jedi

#11 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

thanx for replying, the images are helpful as well. I will try that as soon as possible

#12 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

OK, let me know how it goes.

jedi
jedi

#13 lweber2112

lweber2112

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

hello all,
one problem I had while following this procedure, I wasn’t given a “C” prompt I was given a “F” prompt instead. maybe because the disk was in the operating system disk was in the “f“ drive? Laptop? , anyway I had to change it to a “c” prompt to perform the procedure.

I don’t know if you’ll have the same situation. either way there ya go.
good luck.
lweber

#14 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.
jedi

#15 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

Reopened at request of topic owner.
jedi

#16 Mr.Micah

Mr.Micah

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

Jedi how have been, anyway I'd like to apologise for taking sooooo long to post any feedback, but to my delight my laptop is up and running, i couldn't be any more thankful towards you Jedi. The information you posted helped alot.

Just one last thing could you check and make sure that I don't have any malicious files/virus' on my laptop please. In addition could you recommend me good programs to protect me against any future virus'/infections.

I'm currently using these programs:

Spyware Blaster version 3.5.1
Spyware Guard (For some wierd reason, when I attempt to open the program, it doesn't open)
Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.4
smitRem
AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
Ad-Aware Build 1.06r1
Zone Alarm version 7.0.337.000 (Could you give me a bit of advice on zone alarm, is it best to keep the Internet & Trusted Zone security bar at medium or shall I keep it at high)
CCleaner version 1.41.544 (I've had ccleaner on my laptop for over a year, i haven't used it once, as I'm a bit worried that it may remove vital files from my laptop, thus corrupting certain programs. Is it safe to use???)

Could you tell me which programs I should keep and which ones aren't really needed and if possible could you refer me to any other good programs that offer protection to my laptop than than the ones(programs), I'm currently using.

Thanks alot :thumbup:

#17 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

Mr.Micah,

My apologies, I reopened this topic but neglected to add my subscription, so didn't get notification of your reply. :blush2:

Please let me know if you still need any advice.

jedi :)
jedi

#18 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
jedi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button