Keeping my computer safe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 returnofsid

returnofsid

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Well, I just completed a Win XP Pro Clean Install. I also installed McAfee Security Suite that comes free for Comcast customers. I'm wondering what other software I should install? Before the Clean Install, I had Zone Alarm Security Suite, AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and HiJackthis. I updated everything on a regular basis but it just didn't seem to keep my system clean. I do spend a lot of time online, mainly as a member of several forums that have to do with a couple hobbies I have. However, I also do download some music using Shareaza. Any suggestions on software I should install? I plan on installing HJT but haven't yet. I am going to today and then run a registry log so that I have a clean log to compare future logs with. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer!!

Michael

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

First, uninstall shareaza, or any file sharing application. While the program itself may be innocuous, the files may well be infected. Next, stop using Internet Explorer, download Firefox, and use that, after installing Noscript.

You also need a firewall, the windows firewall is very limited. sunbelt kerio is my favourite as it's free.
While Mcaffee may not cost you anything, in money, it can slow your computer. Personally, I don't like "suites" as the try and do too much, and as a result get bloated. There are several free Antivirus programs that are very effective, AVG, or Avast being the usual recommendations.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 returnofsid

returnofsid

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

Well, I don't use IE for any reason except Windows Updates. I have been using Mozilla for years now and love it's security. Can you explain what "Noscript" is and why I should install it?
I don't use Window's Firewall" either. Currently, I have McAfee's firewall installed, as well as their AV program (part of the suite). I understand what you're saying about suites getting bloated, but wouldn't I run into the same problem by installing several different programs to take care of my Firewall, Virus Scan, and such?? I've used AVG and Zone Alarm in the past but recently have had several infection problems while using Zone Alarm so am considering going back to AVG.
So, should I do as I've done in the past and install Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AdAware and a stand alone firewall and stand alone virus scanner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button