• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjp65aa

Any P2P programs malware free?

23 posts in this topic

I want a morpheus or kazaa-like program that wont cause me problems. Are there any out there?

In the past i just installed one of the above and then removed it when i was done getting what i wanted. A recent infection and reading posts on this site make me fear going that route again. Any ideas?

Edited by mjp65aa

Thank you. I trying it out now.

Also, sorry i posted in wrong forum, it seemed like the right place at the time. Thanx for moving me too....

On the home page of this site, if you click the more links button, then view all categories, it will show you a catergory that expains alot about p2p sharing programs. I used to use kazaa a while back but after being bombarded by pop-ups, and being weary of trojans, I decided to delete it, and download a a few spyware programs. After reading the above mentioned article regarding p2p programs I downloaded winMXv3.31. Its great and easy to use.

Good luck :wave:

For the past 6 months or so, I've been using Shareaza. Before that I stuck with WinMX for a couple of years. I've noticed that Shareaza seems to be much faster as well as returning more hits with each search. It's also much better for me when I'm downloading non-music files...such as apps. I'll keep WinMX on my system but haven't used it for quite some time.

I'll keep WinMX on my system but haven't used it for quite some time.

Just to remind..Winmx 3.53 is out now so update when you have the time :thumbsup:

Remember, having a spyware free p2p program will not protect you from getting infected. Viruses, spyware, worms and especially Trojans are extremely abundant on p2p systems. Run a good AV software and be careful what you download.

Remember, having a spyware free p2p program will not protect you from getting infected. Viruses, spyware, worms and especially Trojans are extremely abundant on p2p systems. Run a good AV software and be careful what you download.

Amen to that!

Be sur not to under any conceivable circumstances d/l .exe or .zip files.

Even so-called .mp3 files might show upon close scrutiny to be double-extensions (ie: stairway to heaven.exe.mp3 :alarm:

Hello to the forum , i hate spyware like all of you, so click on my signature ( its not free advertising ) on KppFree site you gonna find only SPYWARE FREE , OPEN SOURCE , FREEWARE programs.

Do you have permission from the developers to mirror all these tools?

http://www.klitetools.com/Security.html

How are you keeping them up to date?

I work a lot , and i don't see why should i need a permision .FREEWARE IS FREE FOR EVERYONE , or is not ? So , if i help others keeping up to date the site and the programs ( and if you noticed i host a lot of Merijn programs ) WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT ?

These sound like some great options. I spend a lot of time keeping spyware off my system and don't want to undermine that effortwith P2P s/w full of spyware/adware.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I will research and digest this thread before posting any questions.

I have noticed that often programs off p2p networks are bundled with malware. My experiences have been limited to fairly harmless and easy to remove malware in this bundling, but I am sure there is no limit to the crap people bundle into stuff they put on p2p networks.

Do you have permission from the developers to mirror all these tools?

http://www.klitetools.com/Security.html

How are you keeping them up to date?

I work a lot , and i don't see why should i need a permision .FREEWARE IS FREE FOR EVERYONE , or is not ? So , if i help others keeping up to date the site and the programs ( and if you noticed i host a lot of Merijn programs ) WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT ?

Well freeware only means it cost nothing to get it. But there could be other restrictions. For example some authors explictly state that you need their permission before you can mirror their downloads or put it in a CD etc,,,

Apart from klitetools being rude and arrogant with his reply here, he's free to mirror the programs as long as they're kept up to date. No problem.

A couple of these companies promise users anonymity when trading files :And as Trilobite mentioned "...be careful what you download"

Spanish company Optisoft launched Blubster ( http://www.blubster.com ), a P2P program that promises its users anonymity when trading files.

Optisoft chief executive Wayne Rosso recently announced that the next version of Blubster will feature encryption technology to disguise illegally downloaded music on the users' computer so that it is harder for the authorities to find them.

Two months ago, 26-year-old New York computer programmer Jason Rohrer created his own stealth P2P network with Mute ( http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/ ), a program that allows computer users to remain anonymous and untraceable when they share files.

Mr Rohrer, who wrote the program after seeing how ants communicated with each other as they were invading his home, said in media interviews that he created Mute because he was not happy with the way computer users' privacy had been invaded by organisations such as the RIAA.

To add to the recording industry's headache, StreamCast Networks released the latest version of its Morpheus P2P software ( http://www.morpheus.com ), which allows users to connect to all the major P2P networks such as Kazaa, Grokster, iMesh and LimeWire, multiplying the sources of music and movie downloads available to the user.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/click/sto...,235303,00.html? (This article may have gone into their archives)

I use mldonkey, which is not only completely spyware free, but is Free Software with full source code available. It is capable of using the Kazaa (fasttrack) network along with Edonkey, Gnutella, and a few others. Unlike Kazza Lite, it is not a hack/crack but a complete reimplementation of the protocols the p2p networks use, and contains no code from Kazaa or any other company. It is very similar to how OpenOffice can read MS Office files without using any microsoft code. With any hack like Kazaa Lite, it is impossible to know if all of the spyware was actually removed, but with mldonkey, you can even get the full source code and compile it yourself if you are really concerned about spyware. Note that using mldonkey won't protect you from downloading files infected with viruses, spyware, or trojans, but it will protect you from worms that automatically infect users of Kazaa (by buffer overruns and other exploits) just by being connected to the network. Also note that it is theoretically possible for a carefully crafted mp3 file to contain a virus/trojan which is automatically installed just by playing the file but so far none have been found. This is possible because if certain parts of the mp3 are too long (like the ID3 tag that contains artist, album, title, etc information), in some mp3 players the extra data can overwrite other parts of memory allowing arbitrary code (such as a trojan) to be executed. Note that a properly written player will check for too much data before putting the data in a variable (container for the data), but many do not. That is how Code Red worked, you could be infected just by being connected to the internet (and running the IIS webserver). Fortunately, exploiting a buffer overrun (as this kind of exploit is called) not only requires a vulnerable player, but the attacker must know quite a bit of assembly (machine language) programming which most programmers don't have.