• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:26 PM

I want a morpheus or kazaa-like program that wont cause me problems. Are there any out there?

In the past i just installed one of the above and then removed it when i was done getting what i wanted. A recent infection and reading posts on this site make me fear going that route again. Any ideas?

Edited by mjp65aa, 25 June 2004 - 03:51 PM.

mjp65

#2 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Ares is Kazaa like..during install..Uncheck.."NavHelper" and you will be fine.

#3 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:03 PM

Thank you. I trying it out now.

Also, sorry i posted in wrong forum, it seemed like the right place at the time. Thanx for moving me too....
mjp65

#4 buddy helper

buddy helper

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

you can try the program Kazaa Lite k++ or you can get Winmx from http://winmx.com these both let you download wsithout hassles or if you are interested in p2p on an IRC sever then go to packetnews.com

#5 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:48 PM

Another good P2P program that's spy and adware free...also give more results because it had the ability to use more that 1 P2P network.

http://www.shareaza.com/

#6 ford101

ford101

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:54 AM

On the home page of this site, if you click the more links button, then view all categories, it will show you a catergory that expains alot about p2p sharing programs. I used to use kazaa a while back but after being bombarded by pop-ups, and being weary of trojans, I decided to delete it, and download a a few spyware programs. After reading the above mentioned article regarding p2p programs I downloaded winMXv3.31. Its great and easy to use.
Good luck :wave:

#7 trollafrogg

trollafrogg

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

i use bittorrent.

#8 returnofsid

returnofsid

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:16 AM

For the past 6 months or so, I've been using Shareaza. Before that I stuck with WinMX for a couple of years. I've noticed that Shareaza seems to be much faster as well as returning more hits with each search. It's also much better for me when I'm downloading non-music files...such as apps. I'll keep WinMX on my system but haven't used it for quite some time.

#9 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:14 AM

I'll keep WinMX on my system but haven't used it for quite some time.

Just to remind..Winmx 3.53 is out now so update when you have the time :thumbsup:

#10 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

Remember, having a spyware free p2p program will not protect you from getting infected. Viruses, spyware, worms and especially Trojans are extremely abundant on p2p systems. Run a good AV software and be careful what you download.

#11 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

Remember, having a spyware free p2p program will not protect you from getting infected. Viruses, spyware, worms and especially Trojans are extremely abundant on p2p systems. Run a good AV software and be careful what you download.

Amen to that!
Be sur not to under any conceivable circumstances d/l .exe or .zip files.
Even so-called .mp3 files might show upon close scrutiny to be double-extensions (ie: stairway to heaven.exe.mp3 :alarm:
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#12 Seventeen

Seventeen

Ad hater

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:01 PM

i use bittorrent.

Are you in Kingman, just out of curiousity...

#13 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:02 PM

Read this. This is the end-all, be-all of articles here on P2P.

http://www.spywarein...om/articles/p2p
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#14 Klitetools

Klitetools

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

Hello to the forum , i hate spyware like all of you, so click on my signature ( its not free advertising ) on KppFree site you gonna find only SPYWARE FREE , OPEN SOURCE , FREEWARE programs.

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

Do you have permission from the developers to mirror all these tools?
http://www.klitetool...m/Security.html

How are you keeping them up to date?

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#16 Klitetools

Klitetools

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

I work a lot , and i don't see why should i need a permision .FREEWARE IS FREE FOR EVERYONE , or is not ? So , if i help others keeping up to date the site and the programs ( and if you noticed i host a lot of Merijn programs ) WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT ?

#17 jeffkh

jeffkh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:37 PM

These sound like some great options. I spend a lot of time keeping spyware off my system and don't want to undermine that effortwith P2P s/w full of spyware/adware.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I will research and digest this thread before posting any questions.
jeffkh
:-j
"It's not a crash bug. We call that our 'test restart feature.'"

#18 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Read Mike's article. http://www.spywarein...m/articles/p2p/

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#19 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:37 PM

I have noticed that often programs off p2p networks are bundled with malware. My experiences have been limited to fairly harmless and easy to remove malware in this bundling, but I am sure there is no limit to the crap people bundle into stuff they put on p2p networks.
mjp65

#20 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:32 AM

I work a lot , and i don't see why should i need a permision .FREEWARE IS FREE FOR EVERYONE , or is not ? So , if i help others keeping up to date the site and the programs ( and if you noticed i host a lot of Merijn programs ) WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT ?

Well freeware only means it cost nothing to get it. But there could be other restrictions. For example some authors explictly state that you need their permission before you can mirror their downloads or put it in a CD etc,,,
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#21 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:32 AM

Apart from klitetools being rude and arrogant with his reply here, he's free to mirror the programs as long as they're kept up to date. No problem.

#22 crazyazn

crazyazn

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:10 AM

A couple of these companies promise users anonymity when trading files :And as Trilobite mentioned "...be careful what you download"

Spanish company Optisoft launched Blubster ( http://www.blubster.com ), a P2P program that promises its users anonymity when trading files.

Optisoft chief executive Wayne Rosso recently announced that the next version of Blubster will feature encryption technology to disguise illegally downloaded music on the users' computer so that it is harder for the authorities to find them.

Two months ago, 26-year-old New York computer programmer Jason Rohrer created his own stealth P2P network with Mute ( http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/ ), a program that allows computer users to remain anonymous and untraceable when they share files.

Mr Rohrer, who wrote the program after seeing how ants communicated with each other as they were invading his home, said in media interviews that he created Mute because he was not happy with the way computer users' privacy had been invaded by organisations such as the RIAA.

To add to the recording industry's headache, StreamCast Networks released the latest version of its Morpheus P2P software ( http://www.morpheus.com ), which allows users to connect to all the major P2P networks such as Kazaa, Grokster, iMesh and LimeWire, multiplying the sources of music and movie downloads available to the user.

http://straitstimes....,235303,00.html? (This article may have gone into their archives)

#23 nl255

nl255

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

I use mldonkey, which is not only completely spyware free, but is Free Software with full source code available. It is capable of using the Kazaa (fasttrack) network along with Edonkey, Gnutella, and a few others. Unlike Kazza Lite, it is not a hack/crack but a complete reimplementation of the protocols the p2p networks use, and contains no code from Kazaa or any other company. It is very similar to how OpenOffice can read MS Office files without using any microsoft code. With any hack like Kazaa Lite, it is impossible to know if all of the spyware was actually removed, but with mldonkey, you can even get the full source code and compile it yourself if you are really concerned about spyware. Note that using mldonkey won't protect you from downloading files infected with viruses, spyware, or trojans, but it will protect you from worms that automatically infect users of Kazaa (by buffer overruns and other exploits) just by being connected to the network. Also note that it is theoretically possible for a carefully crafted mp3 file to contain a virus/trojan which is automatically installed just by playing the file but so far none have been found. This is possible because if certain parts of the mp3 are too long (like the ID3 tag that contains artist, album, title, etc information), in some mp3 players the extra data can overwrite other parts of memory allowing arbitrary code (such as a trojan) to be executed. Note that a properly written player will check for too much data before putting the data in a variable (container for the data), but many do not. That is how Code Red worked, you could be infected just by being connected to the internet (and running the IIS webserver). Fortunately, exploiting a buffer overrun (as this kind of exploit is called) not only requires a vulnerable player, but the attacker must know quite a bit of assembly (machine language) programming which most programmers don't have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button