MS Office XP Standard Installer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeanConnery

SeanConnery

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:00 AM

So I contracted the recent res://isuk.dll?9878 virus and have been browsing these forums looking for a solution and trying everything I come upon (I now have Adaware, ZoneAlarm, XoftSpy, CWSShredder, SpyBot S&D, Spy Sweeper, Hijack This, Trojan Hunter and now Avast... all tried... in various ways, and failed... )

I fear I have something even worse than the usual CWS res://jerk.dll bug because everytime I open a program or a new piece of mail or a new window, Microsoft Office XP Standard Installer pops up and tries to install god knows what, fails, and then asks me for the proper disc.

I saw this mentioned in the long thread trying to address CWS but have since not seen anything else dealing with it. I think this is the sign of a different strain, or I just have something else working against me.

I also had/have the Home Search Bastard (followed regedit way of removing it and havent checked to see if its back yet)...

So, I was wondering if anyone has gotten the MS Office Pop up thing and if so, have you gotten rid of it and how?

I'm not sure it will help with the MS Office Installer, but you all seem to be into the HJT logs, so I'll go ahead and post mine... who knows what it will show... I've been slowly suffocating the browser hijacking bug for the past couple days through numerous assaults... I still get popups, but it no longer changes my homepage...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:56:45 PM, on 6/25/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\God\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioReg] REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" +c
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [netwa.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\netwa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 3.9\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ashMaiSv] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashmaisv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com...ex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...76/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...,16/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab

if you've gotten this far, I would just like to say thank you to the webmaster and pros who donate their time to keep this thing running... I would have had to rebuild long ago if not for this resource... although, it looks as though I may have to anyway...

PS - I got the bug while surfing cuz McAfee auto-updated and then turned itself off waiting for me to reboot... you believe that? Screwed cuz my anti-virus took a coffee break...

#2 jrobe

jrobe

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:31 AM

I had the same kind of hijack. Luckily PGP Phantom was able to help me out though. He took me through the steps to get this thing off of my computer. I am still getting the MS installer. He recommended to put the office disk in, since thats what the dialog box asks for. I don't have the disk with me right now so if you try it and it works let me know.

#3 Darkpaladin

Darkpaladin

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:00 AM

I am having the same exact problem and because of this I signed up to these boards. It seems like a great place to get help.

Someone please help. Before I :techsupport:

Thanks for the time and effort.

DP

#4 jrobe

jrobe

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:07 AM

DP if you are getting your browser hijacked then read the top posts and post your hijack this log in your own posts. Someone here will help you out.

#5 SeanConnery

SeanConnery

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:54 PM

I allowed the MS Office XP thing to run its course and Im currently not getting it as a pop up anymore... I have not yet rebooted, however, and am certain I am still infected (Trojan hunter keeps finding "possible" trojans and spysweeper find the same registry values over and over from CWS)

back to the battle...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button