• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 eltak27

eltak27

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:56 PM

Hi

I kind of lost a bit of confidence using IE and i've been using Mozilla's Firefox instead. Most malwares target IE (primarily CWS and all its variants), but how about other browsers, like Firefox for example, how confident should i feel using it, is it considerably more safe? I'm i still vulnerable to CWS?

Any feedback will be appreciated

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

You're invulnerable to CWS.

However, the rats over at ABetterInternet have developed a .XPI file, which is a Mozilla installer. All it does is pop up a request to install it. Just say Cancel every time, and it'll never hurt you.

I've heard that in version 1.0 of Firefox, only .xpis from Mozilla itself will install directly, and you'll be referred to the manufacturer's site for the others. That'll stop even the popups.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 eltak27

eltak27

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Tuxedo Jack these are great news.

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:14 AM

If you _really_ want to have some fun, try doing what I do - having _LOTS_ of browsers on one system.

I've got the following on my Win2K Pro box:

- IE (despite my most fervent wishes, and I neutered it so it won't run)
- Firefox 0.9
- Firebird 0.6
- K-Meleon
- Netscape Navigator 4.08
- Lynx

It's just so much fun to have multiple browsers.

#5 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:59 AM

Well, currently Firefox users don't need to fear much from browser hijackings, but they aren't invincible. You still need to stay patched with windows update and also watch what you download. (Don't download Kazaa!!-_-)

Edited by Archon_Wing, 20 May 2004 - 04:59 AM.

Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#6 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:30 AM

True, you have to exercise control over your downloads, but you'll be safe from web pages a la CWS and their ilk.

As for downloads, use InCtrl and monitor what gets installed. _DON'T_ download it unless it's absolutely necessary, as a general rule.

#7 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

You're invulnerable to CWS.

However, the rats over at ABetterInternet have developed a .XPI file, which is a Mozilla installer. All it does is pop up a request to install it. Just say Cancel every time, and it'll never hurt you.

I've heard that in version 1.0 of Firefox, only .xpis from Mozilla itself will install directly, and you'll be referred to the manufacturer's site for the others. That'll stop even the popups.

Personally I would turn off the xpi installations mode until you need them. A extension easily allows you to toggle between the 2 modes

For sure the new Firefox. will prevent XPI installation requests from being autoloaded (similar to how it blocks popups), but I understand there is still quite a bit of debate over other ideas, such as whitelisting, blacklisting, signatures and the like.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#8 eltak27

eltak27

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hi

Tuxedo good suggestion, i was planning to do so but was not sure which browsers, i was originally thinking of Avant and Opera, but i will check the others too!!! :D

Thanks to all

#9 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:30 AM

The main thing about those xpi installs is that you have to be prompted first, so none of that drive-by crap. Yes, we'll always have a few people who will click yes to everything but most people will have a chance to say no at least.

#10 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:35 AM

The main thing about those xpi installs is that you have to be prompted first, so none of that drive-by crap. Yes, we'll always have a few people who will click yes to everything but most people will have a chance to say no at least.

True, but as more of those new users are coming to use Firefox, we want to protect them as much as possible.

In fact, currently 0.8 milestone, these xpi popups are even a greater annoyance than activex popups for inexperienced users. AT least in IE, the option to turn off activex is settable with the UI, while to turn off XPI installs in Firefox you need to change a crytc setting name after typing about:config in the addressbar. Also spywareblaster which blocks known bad activex controls, provides some protection,.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#11 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 07:10 AM

Mozilla 0.8 is still beta, so if u do not like betas, use Opera instead.

#12 Guest_skycom_*

Guest_skycom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:48 PM

You will be most pleasantly surprised AND satisfied with OPERA 7.5!
SomeMore FanFare Here

Edited by skycom, 26 May 2004 - 11:50 PM.

#13 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

This XPI issue is still fairly new. It's being fixed for the next public release and it might already be fixed for the nightly builds.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#14 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:08 PM

It's being fixed for the next public release and it might already be fixed for the nightly builds.

Do the nightly builds run alongside the regular Firefox installation, or do they install over it?

:wave:
We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#15 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:05 PM

I couldn't tell you. I don't play with the beta releases.

#16 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:22 AM

It's being fixed for the next public release and it might already be fixed for the nightly builds.

Do the nightly builds run alongside the regular Firefox installation, or do they install over it?

:wave:

You can put the program files elsewhere. The profile directory is generally reusable.

#17 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:47 PM

So when's the next version coming out?

#18 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

When it's ready.

#19 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:27 AM

FireFox .9 is supposed to be out soon. Maybe in the next few weeks.

#20 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:03 PM

0.9RC is out, and it addresses the .xpis Flingstone and others have created with a three-second delay before the Install button appears.

There's not an option in about:config to increase/decrease that as of yet. To turn .xpis off, you still have to go to about:config and change xpinstall.enabled's value to "false."

There is, however, a Mozilla Update tool in the Tools menu, which leads me to believe that they're going to start writing patches and creating a patch.mozilla.org subdomain or something.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 09 June 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#21 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:56 AM

There's an option in the advanced menu that allows you to disable software installs.

#22 preston

preston

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

I'm currently using Firebird 0.7 but it was suggested to me that I switch to Firefox.

Any reason why I should ?

=

#23 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:04 AM

I'm currently using Firebird 0.7 but it was suggested to me that I switch to Firefox.

Any reason why I should ?

=

It's newer (0.8) ??

#24 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:11 AM

Were you aware that Firefox is the replacement of Firebird? It was renamed and updated.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#25 preston

preston

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

wreck,

No i wasn't aware of the name change.
Checking the Mozilla site, I took a look at their press release.

A couple of questions from anyone who might have upgraded ...

Any major improvements that you can't live without now that you have them.
Does Firefox install on top of my resident Firebird or is it a completely different application.

When I originally installed Firebird I had to go in and manually install some of the plugins which was a royal pain. Macromedia Flash and Shockwave were 2 that weren't part of the original Firebird 0.7 package.

Does Firefox 0.8 include most of the common plugins like Flash and Shockwave.

=

Edited by preston, 10 June 2004 - 02:19 PM.

#26 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

If you've installed java, flash or any other plugin for Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, FireFox or Firebird, it will work in any of these other browsers. Any extension you've installed for Firebird will be there as long as you installed it in your user profile and not the application directory.

To upgrade, just delete the Firebird folder from c:\program files (or wherever you installed it). The new version should automatically detect your profile folder and use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button