Photo

Really desperate...Please help me to cure my pc!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yosegate

yosegate

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]
Hi

Firstly, my computer is and was infected with a virus. The symptoms (AND from the MICROSOFT Knowledge base article 310585 – this tells you that I’ve been searching all over the net till I got here T_T) indicate that it’s W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm as
I receive this message saying :

Windows cannot find 'program_file'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click Start, and then click Search.

(whatever the program maybe)
and hence cannot start the most of the programs on my desktop or its original location.
(Apart from My Computer, Internet Explorer and my documents)
I therefore cannot also start Command prompt, any exe applications and programs including My Own Norton Antivirus!
Not only that, when I go to Command prompt, I get this Error message 'Cannot find file RUNDLL32.EXE', or 'Access to the specified device, path or file is denied', or empty black command windows titled 'rundll32.exe'. I simply thought the “Rundll32.exe” was missing as the virus affected it…..so after hours of search, I came to http://www.spywarein...ijn/forums.html (which is here J) and downloaded Rundll32.exe for XP and did “cut and paste” in Windows System32 file…which just replaced the existing Rundll32.exe……………………
Of course that still didn’t fix any of these problems up….and I went to the Microsoft knowledge base articles
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;311446 (Please have a read….as I’m not that good at explaining things….as you have already noticed…)
And found that it was thanks to the viruses…not just the Rundll32.exe…..

As I cannot open and run any program files / registry files / or any types of applications….including my own antivirus software… I went to Panda software active scan that scans the computer online (without downloading any application which at this moment appears to be junk as I Cannot access them) and had a scan that found W32 Toriln (?) virus…..well it was disinfected. (I tried hours later…and it found nothing…while the symptoms persisted)

According to one of Microsoft knowledge base article solutions regarding this matter…(Or even other anti-virus web sites that deals about W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm or similar type that acts like one (My case) I can attempt to “cure” it manually…but it requires ms-dos prompt attempt……………which I can’t get an access to….

What can I do….? I really would like to try not to reformat my whole system as much as I can….Is there any other way? Is there any parts that I misunderstood from the Microsoft Knowledge base articles or didn’t try? Please…(I know most of you here will hear this tone of pleading for help all the time…but it doesn’t feel to good at all when you know your PC will soon be destroyed even further…T_T) Help…If you can help me..then it would be greatly appreciated….

Thanks for reading.
I’ll be waiting for your response..

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:05 AM

Have you tried to access the command prompt, from safe mode?

To access this, reboot. As the computer boots, tap the F8 key repeatedly, and then choose safe mode command prompt from the menu.
Then you should be able to carry out the removal method.

Alternatively, try the removal tool from the Symantec website.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button