• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:34 AM

I really don't know where to post this...glad to see there is a forum for such an occassion. ^^

I've been reading up and about spyware (mainly on this site). And I understand that there are different versions of it. Some of which attacks the system through ads, while others are key-loggers etc etc. But after having a recent spyware attack on my system which I believe I got rid of. I became rather paranoid and I would like to clear things up.

Can spyware monitor your system activites? Steal/rip files from your hard drive and transfer them to the owner/company of said spyware?

I only ask...and I know this sounds strange, almost silly. But I've done a few peices of work on this PC, and I'm paranoid about people reaping all that work and dubbing it their own. Again I know it's strange. But then again. So are people. My friend recently had his picture yanked off of his profile on chat and some person started using it. <_<

Take it easy. And please tell me where this post should be. ^^

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:48 AM

Things that act like that are generally referred to as remote access Trojans, and most spyware doesn't act like that. Phatbot and Agobot, though, can performs some of that functionality.

On the whole, though, the best thing to do is to get a rules-based firewall as well as a router and use them. The router will stop outside attacks, and the firewall controls software's access to the Internet.

The biggest threat you'd have to worry about, in terms of IP, is a keylogger. Just watch what you download, keep your AV program and antispyware programs up to date, and don't use IE - or if you do, lock it down - and you should be fine.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button