IE explorer Spawning multiple instances on startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheJoker_0

TheJoker_0

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:56 PM

Have a computer i'm working on for a friend, that was having lots of problems getting online. first problem was 2 viruses and dozens of spyware programs. Got all of it removed, but the one thing that has me stumped is, when i had the comp here on my network connected to a dsl connection i was able to get online fine once cleaned up. but just got a call that when plugged directly into their cable modem at home, as soon as they launched internet explorer, it starts spawning dozens of windows and eventualy crashes out ( i assumed the virus i removed was causing that) :scratchhead: . Because it didn't do this while on my router i'm thinking its something being sent through their ISP. I don't know however if its a windows service thats messed up or some sort of software error, or an attack on the cable network ( somone on that same ISP was spamming out poppup crap on the messenger service a while back, dunno if there is a way for them to cause IE to flip out like this thou). Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm heading out tomorrow to look at it there so i can see what its doing, but any leads ahead of time that help me where to start would be great. :techsupport:

#2 NeonWizard

NeonWizard

Security Geek

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:43 PM

Did you install a firewall on the computer?

If not, I'd recommend something like ZoneAlarm.

The Messenger service everyone had problems with it. It was caused by people sending messages thru the Windows Messenger. More Info

Other than that, make another spyware and virus scans to see if not leftovers are still on the hard drives.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button