• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagabooq

hagabooq

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

hi

i have just found out i have a modem+router device that has no hardware firewall. or so i think i am not sure... i wasnt the one who made the setup so..

anyway, my current router is a repotec RP-IP1800

N.B i read on some article that i may add SPI firewall to the mentioned router if it is conexant based with CX82310 chip
see this link http://www.routertec...opic.php?p=7583 of course i dont know what that mean

my current router info is
Firmware Version: CX82xxx_4.1.0.9_S
Customer Software Version: 4.1.0.9
i have NAT enabled with NATP as mode

1 >>>>>>>> i would like to know how secure it to use that router, is it safe to use it for internet access when i will be doing online banking

and other sensitive uses

2 >>>>>>> if so how to configure it for maximum security.. when i log in to there are a lot of things/options/..etc.. i dont know how to tweak it

3 >>>>>>>> how can a router+adsl modem be a source of malware infection, can it be infected it self , how it is used by malwares to harm users --- i

have just realized that routers+modem are security related, i always thought they are just dumb devices that allow net access and thats it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is an explanation of my network setup'

first of all, i will be sharing the internet connection with other computers that i have no control over them nor trust their security.. so i want to BLOCK

all networking activities with these pcs to avoid any malware infections.. BUT allow internet connection sharing.

4 >>>>> is this safe? i use my pc for sensitive information and i want to be safe from network based malware, will only allowing internet sharing

accomplish that?

what router+adsl modem do u recommend i purchase?
i only use wired internet acces
and i would like you to consider the price factor as my budget for a the new router is very tight and all i am looking for in it is security security and

security.

my main feature in the router would be security as this is the main reason i getting a new one

and would you kindly tell me how to configure that router to meet my needs;

5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>- only internet connection sharing is allowed
maximum security configured

I NUMBERED THE Q's since the post is long and not really organized

i would greatly appreciate your help since i am a complete newbie in this field

thanks a lot,

#2 hagabooq

hagabooq

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

hi
i have several questions and i really cant classify them to post them in the right sub forum... here they are

1) does setting a password on the BIOS access prevent malware form writing themselves to the BIOS memory

2) my mobo doesn't have a physical jumper to prevent flashing to the BIOS, but there is an option in Adcanced BIOS settings title "No excute memory

protection".. its description is " when disabled, it forces NX feature flag to always return 0

if i disable it , will this prevent ANY writing/altering to the BIOS by MALWARES or even flashing the bios for upgrade

3)is it possible to restrict the launch of a certain program on the computer to a hardware device.. i think its called a dongle..... how to do so ? how

secure is it , ie can the dongle encryption method be cracked?

4) i have just found out i have a modem+router device that has no hardware firewall (there is NATP enabled).... i wasn't the one who made the setup so.. anyway, my current router is

a repotec RP-IP1800 (i am not sure if it has a hardware firewall or not but i read on a forum that i can add SPI firewall by a certain firmware update)

i would like to know how secure it to use that router, is it safe to use it for internet access when i will be doing online banking and other sensitive uses
if so how to configure it for maximum security

5) i use a network setup where several computers share the same internet connection but we don't allow file sharing or any type of sharing but internet

connection.. my question is how secure my pc is in that setup since i don't have control over the other pc and i strongly doubt that there are secure enough

as their users dont take online security seriously..

6) how can a router+adsl modem be a source of malware infection, can it be infected it self , how it is used by malwares to harm users --- i have just

realized that routers+modem are security related, i always thought they are just dumb devices that allow net access and thats it

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button