Only possible problem left is BTIEIN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigHeadOne

BigHeadOne

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:26 AM

I have run AdAware, Spybot, CWshredder, Xcleaner, and have the various javacool programs running to prevent reinfection. I'm not getting browser jacked at this point. I am getting random openings of IE windows, offering various spycleaner, threatlevel.com, and other things. I'm not really sure what they're offering, since IEspyad won't let the pages load anymore.

The only thing left that is getting consistently detected is a registry key and its subkeys under the heading BTIEIN. Spybot says its HuntBar, Adaware says IBIS, whatever. Its the only left to be doing this crap to me. I can't delete it though, since it says ACCESS DENIED whenever I try. I tried in safe mode, but it does the same thing. I am DOS-literate (old school represent ;) ). How do I get rid of the key and its subkeys?

Thank you all in advance.

#2 smckillop

smckillop

Rockin' Apple of SWI

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:40 AM

Finally - Someone that I can probably help!

**Make sure you're logged on as Administrator (Assuming that you have Windows XP or Windows 2000)

Run Regedit
Browse to the BTIEIN registry key that you can't delete
Right click on the key and select Permissions
The Security Tab probably shows an empty list
Click on Advanced
Click on the Owner Tab
Click on your Username and check the box to grant yourself ownership permissions

Now make sure that you have access to any subkeys that show up and repeat the steps on those subkeys if required. Once you are the owner of the keys and subkeys, you should be able to delete.

Let me know how you make out
smckillop
He who has tasted a sour apple, will have the more relish for a sweet one.

If the information I have provided has been helpful, please consider Supporting SpywareInfo

#3 BigHeadOne

BigHeadOne

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:02 AM

Worked, thank you.

My problems appear to be gone after a final battery of spybot, adaware and cwshredder runs. I don't want to speak too soon though...knock on wood.

thanks again

#4 smckillop

smckillop

Rockin' Apple of SWI

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:09 AM

No problem, glad I could help someone finally after all the help I've received from others!

Don't worry, I'm sure some Scumware will show up on your PC soon enough to keep you busy again!
smckillop
He who has tasted a sour apple, will have the more relish for a sweet one.

If the information I have provided has been helpful, please consider Supporting SpywareInfo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button