• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dave&039;B&039;

Dave&039;B&039;

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

Any ideas ????

I am trying to help out a friend. He just obtained a new TV/HiFi combinations with a wizzo remote that supposedly does everthing but fly. Made by Logitec. he followed the instructions to programme it through Logitec web site whilst hooked up to his Pc at home. All seemed okay but now unfortunately all his desk top icons won't open. All exec files won't open, even cmd in the run box won't open a dos window. All the icons now have a *.ink* file extension. Something somewhere has decided to transform his file extensions..don't know what. Is there any way to reverse this or must I format/re-install windows.
#
Any help would be appreciated. have looked on line myself and can find one or two refernces to regsitry changes to .ink files but no cures that I can see.

many thanks to all who read this or attempt to help

Dave
:techsupport:

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hi,

Try this:

Download Deckard's Association File Tool (DAFT) and save it to your desktop:
1. Double-click the daft.exe icon. Read the disclaimer and click OK.
2. Click on the Scan button.
3. If it finds faulty file associations, they will appear in red beside a checkbox. If this occurs, just place a tick in the boxes in question.
4. Click the Fix button.

Does this restore the .exe file associations?
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 Dave&039;B&039;

Dave&039;B&039;

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

[Jedi

thanks for the reply.

Will try this unfortunately can't give you a reply as to if it works as I will have to save the 'tool' to memory stick...visit my mate.. try it then I'll know!!!

thanks again will keep you informed

Dave

#4 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

OK, no worries, let me know whenever. I've got a couple of other suggestions if if doesn't work.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 Dave&039;B&039;

Dave&039;B&039;

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

Jedi

tried and failed miserably.. wouldn't load from the memory stick automatically changed the file extensions when I opened the memory stick . Rebooted in safe mode with cmd prompt and ran the \Deckards tool from there. When the scan was done it showed the following

Deckard's Association File Tool
DAFT Log saved on 2008-01-24 20:29:34
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
.bat - - shell\open\command - unable to read key
.bat - - shell\edit\command - unable to read key
.com - - shell\open\command - unable to read key
.exe - - shell\open\command - unable to read key
.lnk - - CLSID - unable to read key
.pif - - shell\open\command - unable to read key
.reg - - shell\open\command - unable to read key
.reg - - shell\edit\command - unable to read key
.scr - - shell\open\command - unable to read key

Before i used the fix I used regedit to make a back up copy of registry. Used the fix and re-booted. initially the desk top looked like it had recovered so I immediately restored the computer back to a date prior to the 22/1/08 when the problem reared its ugly head. This worked fine but when I returned to the desktop, slowly the icons reverted back their unopenable state and I was back to square one. Used task manager to see if there were any residual processes working but couldn't see anything out of the norm but then I'm a novice.

open to any other suggestions

Thanks
Dave

#6 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

OK, let's try this:

Go here:
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
and grab the .exe file association batch. Unzip it onto the stick and run it on your friend's PC, note Doug's instructions at the top of the page on corrupted EXE file associations, and the work-around.

jedi
jedi

#7 Dave&039;B&039;

Dave&039;B&039;

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Jedi

Thanks again...definitely think we are on right track..Hopefully will use Doug Knox fix over weekend. Watch this space..will let you know. Just one thing further..speaking with a more knowledgeable mate who asked if my mate used 'adaware' program, which he does. The other mate said there is a facility in Adaware to restore registry..Does that seem logical??

Ta
Dave

#8 Dave&039;B&039;

Dave&039;B&039;

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

Jedi

Cracked it... my mate thinks I walk on water..Can't thank you enough both for him and teaching me stuff!!

It seems that Ad-aware was the problm and was re setting the problem after the DAFT fix. I disabled Ad-aware before I used the fix. Once I had the fix in place, re-booted uninstalled ad-aware through control panel. re-booted and then re-installed Ad-aware and hey presto it's now been stable for three hours.

Once again thanks. Didn't need the Knox fix. Hope this can be of some use to someone else who encounters this problem.

May the Force be with you!!!!!!!! :D

Ta
Dave

#9 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

That's interesting, and I'll remember it for the next time I come across this kind of problem. As for the help, you're welcome. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

jedi :)
jedi

#10 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
jedi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button