E-mail VERY SLOW

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gobolts

gobolts

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:27 PM

I am running windows ME, using MSN mail.
A while back, I downloaded Sygate's free personal firewall, which I really like, but I noticed right away that something was wrong when I clicked on the little envelope icon to check my email. It takes about 30 seconds to go to the inbox, then when you click to open an e-mail letter it takes another 30 seconds. Also, when you send mail it stays in the outbox for a while before sending. Checking my mail used to be a breeze, now it takes forever. If I use the "Hotmail" link on the MSN home page it is not as slow. But I prefer to use the MSN mail on the browser bar.
I am pretty sure the Sygate firewall created this problem but when I exit it the mail is still very sluggish. Disabling the firewall from start-up doesn't change the e-mail problem either. I read somewhere I may need to set Sygate to open a certain port or something but that didn't work.

Anybody?

#2 gobolts

gobolts

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:50 PM

Well, I have reluctantly uninstalled my Sygate firewall and as I kind of suspected, that was NOT the cause of the MSN mail problem.
I have lowered security settings and tried CTRL+SFT+F9, but still have the same excessively long delay after I click the MSN mail icon or any MSN Mail link.
I guess I should maybe re-install MSN and see if that might fix this thing.
Why would Hotmail work but not MSN mail? oR, WELL, MSN does actually still work it is just unuseable because it takes SO long to handle mail. (Before it always went to the inbox instantaneously when i clicked on MSN Mail.)
If anyone can offer some insight I'd appreciate it?

#3 MaytagMan

MaytagMan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:38 AM

Im not so sure about Sygate. I do not use personal firewall software, however, you can assume that the reason outlook doesnt work yet webmail does, is because outlook requires your computer to send a request out to a mail server somewhere to retrieve your mail. This also means that the appropriate ports must be opened to allow that mail to be let into your computer. If these ports arent open, it might take a very long time, or not work at all. Hotmail, and other web-based email services will work because all the mail traffic stays on Hotmail's server. The only thing that needs to be let into your computer is normal website information. If you have any sort of router that you recently installed, you might want to take it out of the loop and see if you still have these problems. If they go away, the router is likely blocking the mail ports. A simple search on google should bring up the ports you need to open on your router to allow mail through to your machine. Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button