Can't check 'Enable 3rd-party browser extensions'

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cardinal23

Cardinal23

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:12 AM

I just spent about a day using SpyBot, FindNFix, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, to clean up my system. My home page was no longer being hijacked.

History: When I first started this effort, I only made any progress when I unchecked 'Enable third-party browser extensions', an IE advanced option. Once unchecked, I could at least surf the Internet.

After cleaning my system (as described in the first paragraph above), I did a System Check Point (XP Pro) and I re-checked 'Enable third-party browser extensions'. Immediately, everything got horrible again. (Fortunately, the check restore saved me). By 'horrible', I mean specifically, the home page was rehijacked, pops began popping up - a general mess.

I'm guessing my Check Point really works and I don't have to go back to square one. The check point seems to work. My home-page is back, my 'Enable third-party checkbox is UNchecked again', as it needs to be for things to work.

Hint: This may be helpful. ZoneAlarm tells me about 2 processes that want to access the Internet. (I deny/block them.) These are ryrylwr.exe and sysaz.exe. (I searched Google for references to them, and found none.) I found them (they were hidden) and I tried to rename (i.e. disable) them. I could not do so as they were 'in use'. These 2 files also have "pre-fetch" counterparts. (I don't know what that means.) (Actually, I did not find sysaz.exe, only the prefetch. I did find ryrywlr.exe, but couldn't rename it as it is in use.)

One quick follow-up (this was not in the original post): I ran MSCONFIG and discovered that ryrylwr.exe and sysaz.exe were in the Start-Up tab (not the Services tab). I don't know what they are, but I don't trust them. Anyway, I would prefer to "do nothing" until I hear from some experts who can guide me. I know I'm ill-equipped to do much more without advice.

When I run ToolBarCop, it tells me about 2 processes:
Description: Error
Related File: C:\Windows\System32\mssi.dll
and
Description: CNavExtBho Class
Related File: C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\NortonAntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

I have just now disabled the first of the 2 BHOs, "Error".

At this point, I know I am "out of my league". I am making some progress, but I don't think I can beat this without some help. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much...D.

Edited by Cardinal23, 29 June 2004 - 12:20 AM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:16 AM

Closed - see http://www.spywarein...indpost&p=48653

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button