• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheAlmightyButter

Ad-Aware comes with spyware??

10 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post here(though I have been reading through the forums for quite a while.) I had heard from a friend that Ad-aware comes with spyware/adware. Is this true?

I'm surprised Lavasoft hasn't gotten that site shut down yet.

Right people !!!

Some anti-spyware softwares install their own spywares. Kind of trojan horse software :D

I like to think of Ad-Aware & Spybot as the 'Batman & Robin' of anti-spyware. They both fight off the criminals (spyware/adware), but as a team they are that much more effective than they would be as a solo act. So my advice use both.

Yes indeed, not a problem at all. In fact, one may some things the other will not. Also spybot S&D 1.3 has some helpfull tools in the advanced mode if you are the eager type..

I've listed the real links for the real programs for your convenience.

Spybot S&D 1.3 and/or Ad-aware 6 Free are excellent removal tools are are updated often.

Note that there are a lot of scam programs out there. They promise free scans, gives false positives, try to scare the bejeebers out of you if you do not pay them to remove it. Question any spyware program that pops up and begs you to buy or use it. Before you buy anything, check it out by asking here first.

cheers

Edited by pfofit

I actually posted a message about this and hadn't heard anything back yet, but thought it may be appropriate. Short version is that I went to the http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/removeezula.htm site to look up info on eZula, and had an old version of ad-aware on my computer. That site said I didn't have eZula TopText running. After installing the new ad-aware and going back to that site, it said I was now running eZula TopText! After much searching, I could find no evidence of eZula and no change in performance. I figure its something with the whirly web site, but thought it strange that ad-aware would trigger that. For details, look up my other post. Any comments?

I like to think of Ad-Aware & Spybot as the 'Batman & Robin' of anti-spyware. They both fight off the criminals (spyware/adware), but as a team they are that much more effective than they would be as a solo act.  So my advice use both.

Well, I've had a lot of problems with spyware, trojans, hijackers, etc so I've become quite paranoid - almost to a surfing-prohibitive point. I've been using firefox for about two months now and I really like it. I've since abandoned IE.

However, I am stll running my antivirus full scan once a week and my spyware/adware detection daily.

I now have an arsenal of 5 programs. Why? Well they all detected things the others didn't. They all perform well together. It would just be nice if all the features were in one program so I didn't have to run 5 of them.

I use these:

Ad Aware

Spybot Search & Destroy

Webroot SpySweeper

AOL's spyware detector (I have a free AOL account, may as well use this feature)

Spyware Blaster (that I just downloaded from this site's recommendation)

4 of them I run daily if I've been downloading, surfing and doing a bunch of stuff. You'd be suprised what one finds that the other doesn't. I would have to say I'm most impressed with Webroot's SpySweeper. They are subscription based but their install definitions is what I'm using now, and it catches things that ad aware and S&D don't. Even for not having up to date definitions, it works pretty good.

Glad I found this site, I'll be around often. :D