Is XP System Restore a fix?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spydr1

spydr1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

Just curious--is using the Windows XP system restore a way to get rid of this bugger?

I've never used it, but I'm thinking I could go back to a point before I got this hijacker and get rid of it. At this point I know there is something buried in my computer that keeps bringing it back, no matter how many times Ad-Aware, etc clean it. Thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 diva007

diva007

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:12 AM

No system restore is only good for one time of logging in. It loads the last known good configuration. If the spyware is on there,and you rebooted, then the system restore would keep the system in the same state.

I'm currently running adaware, spybot, hijack this...all in safe mode. I hope it works...

#3 spydr1

spydr1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:19 AM

Interesting. I thought you could pick a point back in time like before adding a program. Guess not.

#4 diva007

diva007

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:45 PM

you can for one reboot. If you have rebooted twice, then the last known good is only from the last successful logon.

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

No system restore is only good for one time of logging in. It loads the last known good configuration.  If the spyware is on there,and you rebooted, then the system restore would keep the system in the same state.

Wrong. You are thinking of NT.

XP keeps a number of restore points, the number depending on how much disk space you have allocated for them.

Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.
Click Next and you get a calendaar showing the available Restore Points. If you have one dating from before your affliction then that would be good to use. Note that anything installed since then, not just malware, will vanish.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#6 spydr1

spydr1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

I thought you could do that. I have tried another fix and currently OK (see post), but holding my breath.

#7 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:16 PM

If you do use this method, it would be as well to delete all restore points, and then set a clean one. Otherwise it may be possible to restore the malware!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button