• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:56 AM

Firefox 0.9.1 UPDATED ON THE 29-6-04 !!!
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#2 Quarl

Quarl

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

Ok because of the last spyware infestation I switched over to Firefox. So far so good. Is there anything I need to know or do to make it more secure? I don't want to deal with spyware again.

#3 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

The only thing I do with Firefox is turn off cookies and Java for general surfing. Sites like SWI are allowed in my Exceptions list. If I really want to view a site and cookies are mandatory, then I only allow them for the originating site and the session. Ditto for Java.

And I use a firewall as well, of course. :p

:wave:
We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#4 Quarl

Quarl

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

Yeah I'm using zone alarm for a firewall. How would I go about getting things setup as you have?

#5 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:26 AM

How would I go about getting things setup as you have?

In Firefox, on the menu bar, go to Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Cookies and make sure the 'Enable cookies' box is unchecked.

For Java, Tools>>Options>>Web Features. Uncheck the Java and Java script boxes and in the 'Advanced' section, uncheck all the boxes except the last one.

Also, make sure the Block Pop-ups box is checked.

These settings can be changed at any time you requre Java and cookies. :D

:wave:

Edited by Freebird, 30 June 2004 - 11:28 AM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#6 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

Might also want to check the box tool-->options--->Load image--->for orginating site only.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#7 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:06 PM

I wouldn't do that with the images. A lot of sites load their images from a different server, mine included.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#8 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:13 AM

I wouldn't do that with the images. A lot of sites load their images from a different server, mine included.

Sure, it's a trade-off, but it's one sure way to kill web-bugs if you are worried.

On the other hand, I would allow cookies but only for current session and for originating site.

Another privacy tweak would be to disable referrers, but again there are trade-offs between functionality and privacy/security.

Edited by Paranoid, 06 July 2004 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button