DSO Exploit Not Removed By SpyBot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 james scott

james scott

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:24 AM

I have read the FAQ. I have read the Article about removing spyware but don't understand much of it as I am a novice. I have run SpyBOT and it shows DSO Exploit in four locations: HKEY_USERS\S-15-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Setting\Z(something --the end is not shown) it also appears at S-15-19 through 21. SpyBot "fixes" it, but when I rerun SpyBot it is still there. It does not require a reboot. I simply does not remove it, though the green checks indicate that it has done so.

I cannot attach the SpyBot log. When I copy it I can't paste it here. I have no idea how to "open it in Notepad" as there are no directions for doing so. I saved the log in "my documents" but when I try to open it, it simply creates an email with the log as an attachment.

Thanks for your help.

#2 CalamityJane

SWI Junkie

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

Hi james scott,

Not to worry :) That is just a glitch in Spybot and will probably be fixed in a future update. You can just put those DSO items on ignore for now.

See the thread in the Spybot Forum here which explains the bug about DSO exploit found in Spybot:

You see, there are several reports of this issue here in the Spybot forum, which shows that it is happening for a lot of people, so in that sense it's normal - meaning your system is reacting like many others...

However, the fact that Spybot isn't properly fixing this is just a simple bug that I'm sure will be fixed soon.

Basically what's happening is that Spybot is finding that the security setting for "Download unsigned ActiveX controls" for the (normally) hidden "My Computer" zone in Internet Explorer is not set to disabled.

Given that anyone who is properly patched (via Windows Update) is not vulnerable to this exploit anymore, this is really not a serious issue, so provided your system is patched, you have nothing to worry about and can just ignore this until the fix comes out.

Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2003-2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button