• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blut3ng3l

blut3ng3l

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:30 PM

Summary of the last few months-

My computer suddenly would stop responding in the middle of everything no matter what. (Websites, installing programs, playing games, making 300+mb .rar files, zipping files, etc) And then I had to cut the power. Sometimes after I had to cut the power.. it'd take 10/20/30 or more min. for windows to be able to start up again.

My hard drive finally died.

I got a new hard drive today with a fresh install of Windows XP. My computer stopped responding in the middle in Windows Updates. It stoped responding while playing a game.

This is my third hard drive. The previous 2 died. When the 2nd was put in.. the computer was perfect. This problem never existed.

But now, it's still here, WITH a brand new hard drive even.

Could it be the RAM going bad?

#2 blut3ng3l

blut3ng3l

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

Actually... I don't think it's the RAM at all.

When I open open my computer... the fan is not running at all. And when it try to run... it sounds like a lawn mower and struggles to move. Then it gives up, and doesn't run at all. When you touch it, it is scolding hot. The fan in the very back runs well.

Overheating causes it to stop responding right?

#3 mnosteele

mnosteele

Dr Tweak

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:13 PM

Yes overheating will do this and NEVER touch anything inside your case while the pc is running.

:gasp:

#4 roger

roger

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:21 PM

Big hard drives require clearance and hard drive coolers. also you may have a power supply inadequacy. Make sure nothing is on top or below the hard drive.

#5 Jynx

Jynx

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

You may also want to blow out any dusnt, cobwebs, ect., and try cleaning the fan... If your using Y adapters for you harddrive, you may want to be warry of how mennyyou use. You may be pulling more power then your power saply can saply...

#6 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

the fan is not running at all.

Which fan? If it the processor fan, then SWITCH OFF the machine IMMEDIATELY! do not turn it on again until you have replaced the fan. Failure here WILL fry the processor!

Check the voltages that the power supply is putting out. Repeated HD failures would seem to indicate that there is a common cause.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button