• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ideaphorian

ideaphorian

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:56 PM

Hi again,

Free at last, free at last!?! I think I've figured out how to get rid of the about:blank problem on Windows ME. I've been on the AdAware/Spybot/HJT regimen for a week now, and have cleaned my registry and gotten clean results when running Adaware, but the problem persists. Using BobO's instructions, I've located the offending file in c:\windows\system (in my case, it's called kbdfnj.dll and appeared back on 6/11), but I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try to rename it as BobO suggests, it does not allow it, because the 'normal' boot options in ME do not allow for direct boot into MS-DOS. So I had to create a Windows ME startup disk, then boot up ME using the startup disk. Eventually it allows you to get to a DOS prompt, from which I could follow BobO's instructions. I just re-booted the system after deleting the offending file, but the telltale signs of trouble (error message with msgsrv32 on startup; error message with mmtask at shutdown) have disappeared.....

Edited by ideaphorian, 30 June 2004 - 12:01 AM.

#2 BobO

BobO

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:33 AM

HEY -- a windows startup disk -- excellent idea! Once you're at the DOS prompt you can reach and nullify that wretched dll.

What's more, I have an XP machine at work (uninfected) but for the hell of it I shut it down and stuck a Win 98 startup disk in the A: drive and powered up.

Got to the DOS prompt no problem. Got to the C: drive no problem. Deleted some test files no problem.

Of course, as an XP user you'd need a DOS disk. But that should be easy to come by (though I don't think XP lets you make your own startup emergency disk)

==> Could this be the fix for Win XP?

BobO

EDIT: I reposted my reply to your terrific idea to the pinned "Has anybody ever..." group. Thanks ideaphorian!

Edited by BobO, 30 June 2004 - 08:50 AM.

#3 Fireflyer

Fireflyer

Spyware Scorcher

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

ideaphorian and BobO,

Check out The Boot Camp here.

We are always in need of new Helpers.
How did I get infected in the first place?
Online Virus and Trojan Scanners
Panda Software . . . Trend Micro . . . Bitdefender . . . Sygate Trojan Scan . . . Trojan Scan
Tools for Fighting Spyware
Spybot S & D . . . Ad-aware . . . CWShredder . . . HijackThis . . . PeperFix
Tools for Prevention
SpywareBlaster . . . SpywareGuard . . . IE-Spyad . . . avast! Free Anti-Virus . . . AVG Free Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm Free Firewall . . . Kerio Personal Firewall
Help support this site! Click here to learn how.

#4 compututor

compututor

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

only problem would be if the h/d was formated ntfs then win 98/me boot disc would not read c: drive I'm sure I saw a dos bootdisc that would recognise ntfs I'll have a look.

Jim.............

#5 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:45 AM

BobO and Ideaphorian:

You combined fix worked for my system which was running ME. I found the file which was named com.dll, renamed it com.bob and Ad-Aware killed it. I saved a copy of com.bob on a floppy if anyone wants to disect it. I also posted a step-by-step walk through for others at Windows ME Fix.

Also, I was having trouble installing Norton System Works while my machine was being possessed by SearchX / About: Blank. After the fix, I was able to install it! Thanks guys.

:thumbsup:

#6 BobO

BobO

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:50 AM

Yowsa!

:D

#7 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

BobO and others:

I have a concern about one of the steps in my post... the renaming of notepad.exe.bak to notepad.exe. After renaming the file it still has the infection date, but it seems to work otherwise. Is there a way to delete the renamed file and then reinstall it? I don't want to take any chances that SearchX will come back?

The Fist

#8 BobO

BobO

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

Well I'd scan any suspect .exe file with an antivirus program before running it anyway, but I don't think CWS spreads that way.

IIRC, Notepad is a Windows accessory, and you should be able to remove and reinstall it from the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Components?

(As a personal aside, I run NoteTab Light (freeware) in place of Notepad anyway. Notepad is just too primitive for me. But that's beside the point. If CWS took Notepad away, then you should get it back -- on principle.)

Edited by BobO, 30 June 2004 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button