Windows Write Protection Error at Boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Metal claw

Metal claw

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:00 PM

Hi, early today I was trying to get rid of that new persistent CWsearchx bug. I finally found the hidden dll when I searched for it in MSDOS mode. I thought of renaming it as advised by someone in the Spywareinfo forums(or possibly in a link given by a spywareinfo member) in order to expose it in windows mode and let CWShredder handle it when it's exposed.

Now, I forgot how to rename files in DOS mode so I decided to make a backup of that DLL just in case I incorrectly type a DOS command that might further mess up my system.

As I was typing the copy command my finger slipped and pressed the ENTER key, with the screen still blinking at C:\>copy c:\windows. The contents of my Windows Folder was copied into my Drive C, including numerous DLLs and system files.

Now everytime I reboot """NORMALLY""" I get a Windows Write Protection Error, and that is the problem I'm having trouble with right now. I don't know which files that I accidentally copied to my drive C is causing the problem, and I can't distuinguish them apart because it's either they still keep the same Date of Creation or their date of creation is unknown.

----
BTW I got some info from microsoft's site, and I can now run Win95 and use it normally as I am doing now. But only if I tap F8 and choose the "Step-By-Step Confirmation" option from the menu and disabling Config.sys and Autoexec.bat from processing at startup.
---

Thank You. Any help is appreciated. (BTW my system has: 133 Mhz, 32MB Ram, Windows 95. In case that helps.)

#2 Metal claw

Metal claw

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

Can anyone, at least, list the files that should be in Drive C and the files that should be in the Windows folder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button