Got hijack this, not sure if I should delete this

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:37 AM

I'm just a teenager who came downstairs to find her computer filled with pop ups, with new icons on the screen, and kept freezing. I didn't install the stuff on this computer, my dad did, but I want to fix it before he comes down here, finds out what happened, and I am banned from all electronics for the rest of my life.

He's the one who installed all this, and if I delete the wrong file and mess something up, I can't cover my tracks, so I just need a yes, delete that file, or no, delete that file and die.

Any help is appreciated.

Oh, I read the FAQ's, just so we get that out of the way

#2 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:38 AM

There is this file that starts with HKML - and there are alot. I'm assuming I should delete all of them, but I just don't know

#3 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:41 AM

The sub files are things like Mmod, Ccap, Sysai, Efp5, things like that

I don't know what info you need to help, so sorry if all that is irrevelant

#4 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:43 AM

If I disappear, my apologies, my internet windows seem to be freezing up one by one

#5 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:48 AM

lynn:

DON'T DELETE ANYTHING ON YOUR SYSTEM UNLESS SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM TELLS YOU TO. You can do more damage than good. I will post some instructions momentarily.

The Fist :thumbsup:

#6 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

You said that you've read the FAQ, that is good. You need to do the following (all software downloads are FREE and SAFE):

1. Download and Run the latest version of Ad-Aware (its Free and Safe). Find Here. If you have a already loaded Ad-Aware, make sure it is updated. When you run it, click on SCAN NOW. Make sure ACTIVATE IN DEPTH SCAN is checked. Select the radiobar for USE CUSTOM SCANNING OPTIONS. Click on CUSTOMIZE. Make sure that SCAN WITHIN ARCHIVES is checked and that the two "skip" boxes are not checked. Make sure that all the boxes under MEMORY AND REGISTRY are checked. Click on the link to SELECT DRIVES AND FOLDERS. Make sure that all the drives under c:\ are checked. Run Ad-Aware and delete any malware it finds. Anything that is a tracking cookie does not have to be deleted. If you are unsure what to delete, post the list of entries and I can tell you what to do.

2. Run Spybot S&D. Find Here. Fix anything it finds. Again, if you have questions, post the list of entries and I can tell you what to do.

3.Run the latest version of CWShredder.Find Here.

4. Run the Norton Internet AntiVirus Scan Go Here. On that page under Virus Definitions is a link to Online Virus and Security Check. Click on the link. Then click on the start button under Virus Detection. Let the scan run and fix anything it finds (I'm not sure if it will let you fix what it finds on the online verson, but if that is the case, we can overcome that problem by downloading a free 15 day trial for antivirus). Copy what Norton finds and post it in your log.

5. Reboot your system.

6. Download Hijack This from this Link Make sure you save it into c:\HJT. Run Hijack This and post your log.

Don't worry about having extra icons on your computer or downloading any of the above software. It all can be deleted after we find out what is infecting your computer.

Good Luck

Edited by The Fist, 01 July 2004 - 08:00 AM.

#7 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:02 AM

Thank you very much

Sorry I left, but I noticed someone posted a that they made a tutorial on deciding what to delete and what to keep, and I began using that and forgot to check back until now. Thank you very much, that helps alot

#8 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:56 AM

Please follow the instructions and post your Hijack This log when you are done. Alot of problems can be eliminated based on going through those steps.

Be careful what you find on the web about deleting certain files. Some of those posts will have you deleting essential Windows files and thus crippling your system. :thumbsdown: Also, be careful of trying any solutions posted on this website for problems, because you may not have that problem and because you may have a different operating system than the person with that problem.

Please update your post when you have done all the requested steps. I will keep checking throughout the day.

#9 lynn

lynn

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

:techsupport:

I was here yesturday, and got Hijacksomething or other and deleted all the bad stuff, or so I thought

I wake up and come down this morning, and I still have ad's all over my screen. What did I do wrong? Is it not spyware or something like it?

Tell you honestly, I'm just a seventeen year old who is scared to tell her father that she let something bad into her computer. I'm sure he could fix it, but you don't know my father - he'd kill me if he found out that something got onto the computer.

Please, any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you very much for looking at my post.

PS - I have read the FAQ's

---------------------------

I went back and re-read the article, and noticed it says you have to find a file control.ini

I didn't find such a file on my computer, if that makes a difference

Edited by lynn, 02 July 2004 - 10:40 AM.

#10 The Fist

The Fist

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

lynn:

Please verify which steps of my post HERE you followed.

Please run Hijack This and post your log. Nobody can help you if you don't post the Hijack This log.

Please respond to this post and don't make a new post unless someone tells you to. That way, anyone viewing your post can know what you have done. Also, it makes it easier to know when you have posted something. Also you can set it up so that you get an e-mail when someone responds to your post.

Good Luck.

#11 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:41 PM

Lynn, your posts merged to here. Please stay with this topic, until your problems are resolved. Click on Add Reply, not New Topic.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button