Linux advice wanted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Man_Beach

Man_Beach

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:47 AM

I'm currently using IE5.5 and Windows 98SE but am going to put together a new computer soon & don't want to use either an old operating system or Windows XP (I have to use it at work, & I hate it), so I'm considering going the Linux route (Mandrake 10.00).

I've heard that Linux is less vulnerable to viruses than Windows, but presume that some sort of virus protection is still needed. But what about security against other nasties? What is needed? I know nothing about Linux & security issues that might affect it.

I currently use Zonealarm, AVG (free) & SpyBot S&D, AnalogX Cookie Wall to manage my cookies & occasionally run BHODemon.

Any advice would be welcome.

Edited by Man_Beach, 02 July 2004 - 07:40 AM.

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

Keep it up to date with the security patches (Mandrake has an updater built in) and use FireFox or Opera. I couldn't tell you about antivirus or firewalls. I haven't been using Linux very long myself.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:02 PM

I'm currently using IE5.5 and Windows 98SE but am going to put together a new computer soon ....

I've heard that Linux is less vulnerable to viruses than Windows, but presume that some sort of virus protection is still needed. But what about security against other nasties? What is needed? I know nothing about Linux & security issues that might affect it.

First off, just a strong suggestion, but you should really upgrade to IE6 and apply all patches and Service packs that apply to your system, it will make your life (with Windows) easier. I run 98SE also, and believe me, you need to do this. :)

Then dump IE, and start using Firefox: http://texturizer.ne...x/download.html

Back to the matter in hand.

Linux, like almost all open-source products benefits from not being mainstream. When that changes - and it will - Linux, like Mozilla will come under attack. The saving grace is, that because it is 'open-source', there is no central approach, no 'corporate product', and, by definition, any attack on a Linux system must be addressed to a particular Linux OS, and not Linux systems as a whole.

Also, because the Linux OS is in continual development, the virus/hacker writers are playing a game of 'catch-up'. How do you code for a system that is constantly changing? You could argue that the development of Linux (and other open-source software) mirrors the virus/hackers approach - trying to find new and smarter ways to do something.

Use your normal AV/Anti-Spyware products until further notice, or until MS goes bankrupt. :p

:wave:
We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#4 Man_Beach

Man_Beach

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:51 AM

Don't look at this site that often now as I've gone over to Linux completely. For the benefit of others who may do a search for Linux, here's what I've found.

I eventually settled on SuSE 9.1 - It has a firewall built in. I just set it up with the wizard and that's it.

Spyware seems to be unknown in the Linux community, but there is a cookie manager built in. When you go to a site you're asked if you want to accept cookies from that site or not.

Viruses that affect Linux are virtually unknown but it is possible to forward a windows virus on to another windows user, even if it doesn't affect you. F-Prot seems to be the anti-virus of choice to stop this happening.

#5 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:59 PM

SuSE is very nice, that's what I use. I just hope you got pro as opposed to personal - personal doesn't come with the gcc for some reason and it's missing a few other things. If you did get personal, my best advice is to hook YaST up to the SuSE Pro ftp and do the "YOU" (YaST Online Update), then your machine will be in perfect working order. Also, I hope you aren't using Konqueror as a browser :huh: just get Firefox if you don't have it already.
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#6 balg

balg

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

just additional info for those who want to use open source software...
u can download a whole set of open source software for both windows and linux here

http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/

it includes software like open office, mozilla, putty, pdf creator etc

#7 crondaily

crondaily

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:28 PM

Here's some "scanners" for linux that I know of:

http://www.rootkit.nl/
http://www.chkrootkit.org/

I use http://www.rootkit.nl/ on a regular basis on Fedora Core based web servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button