• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baileym

CoolWebSearch

4 posts in this topic

AdAware detects the CoolWebSearch and Possible Browser Hijack Attempt. We remove this, but then go back into Internet Explorer to find that MS Office Basic Installer starts and the homepage is res://aoqwb.dll/index.html#26980.

We're running in circles. I've applied CWShredder ver 1.59.1 and it does not detect. I believe we have a brand new strain of the trojan/spyware. I have log files for anyone to take a look at. I noticed on another post someone with a similiar issue and he had no resolution.

Please help, I am in an office environment and would rather find the fix to apply if it happened to another system instead of resorting to reformatting.

Thank you

baileym

:techsupport:

Please post your Hijack This logfile in this thread so someone can help you. Make sure that Hijack This is in its own permanent directory such as c:\HJT.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0

Scan saved at 10:14:32 AM, on 7/1/2004

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\cusrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\NWTRAY.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msyt.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe

D:\HijackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\aoqwb.dll/sp.html#26980

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://aoqwb.dll/index.html#26980

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://aoqwb.dll/index.html#26980

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\aoqwb.dll/sp.html#26980

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\aoqwb.dll/sp.html#26980

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://aoqwb.dll/index.html#26980

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

F0 - system.ini: Shell=

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0ADEE711-8B02-83DC-B2AE-86A9DD5436D7} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaeq.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NWTRAY] NWTRAY.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msyt.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\msyt.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

OK, I'm just blowing away the pc. I've read article after article that this trojan CoolWebSearch is to damaging and almost impossible to clean. Thanks anyways!!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0