• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
[Digital Euphoria]

Unable To Access Notepad from Accessories

10 posts in this topic

When I go to Start > Accessories > Notepad, it does not work. Instead I have a white screen icon where the Notepad icon is supposed to be. When I right click on it and got to Properties under the Shortcut tab this is what it is listed for Target: C:\WINNT/system32/actmovie.exe. I am pretty sure the Target has been somehow changed and thus I cannot open Notepad from here. Now I have Notepad in my WINNT folder so I don't think its the program I am missing. Is there something in my system that altered the shortcut from Accessories, if not is there a way I can get Notepad back to my Start > Accessories?

look in the C:\WINDOWS folder for a file called notepad.exe if it is not there download it from here

bintow.com/notepad-xp.zip

unzip it, put it in the C:\WINDOWS folder and create a shortcut to it.

Post back to tell us if it worked so other people can try it if they have the same problem.

I use XP, so it would be in the WINNT folder. I went to C > WINNT and I do see NOTEPAD there, it opens when I double click on it. So I don't think its the Notepad I am missing. Now the person before told me to change the Target in the Accessories > Notepad and I did but it said it was invalid. So I left it blank but now but then it changed and the Target type went to My Computer, Target location went to Desktop and Target went to My Computer, and now I can't edit the Target for some reason.

Sorry that path didn't work for you. I am also on xp but I don't have a WINNT folder. I do have a copy of notepad in the windows folder and in the windows/system32 folder.

In any case, if notepad works and only the shortcut is the problem then delete the bad shortcut in the accessories folder.

In windows explorer go to your copy of notepad.exe, right click and choose copy.

Now in explorer go to C:\Documents and Settings\your user name \Start Menu\Programs\Accessories right click there and choose "paste shortcut"

Try:

Target: %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe

Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

If that dosent work..go back to your Notepad.exe, create a shortcut..drag that to C:\Docs & Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Progams\Accessories.

You can also...from the bad shortcut, choose Properties, click on Find Target..see if it will find Notepad again.

Edited by lion7718

Well the Target type went to My Computer, Target location went to Desktop and Target went to My Computer when I took out the incorrect path and just left it blank. Now the Target is dimmed with My Computer and I can't edit it all, any advice?

any advice?

Same as before:

In any case, if notepad works and only the shortcut is the problem then delete the bad shortcut in the accessories folder.

In windows explorer go to your copy of notepad.exe, right click and choose copy.

Now in explorer go to C:\Documents and Settings\your user name \Start Menu\Programs\Accessories right click there and choose "paste shortcut"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0