Home Search Assistent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bman

bman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

After a much trial and error I finally cleaned off the HSA trojan. No more hijacking for the past week or so. But I think I still need to clean off some stuff that is still left behind.

1. There is an entry in Add/Remove Programs for "Home Search Assistent". No way am I going to click on it, but how do I get rid of it from the list?

2. There are a number of randomly named .exe files in my windows directory that were created while I was trying to clean this monster. In general would it be safe to delete them? For example: adduz32.exe, addet32.exe appnv32.exe were all created within minutes of each other. Any way to tell legitimate .exe from trojan stuff?

Thanks
Bman

#2 ur048424

ur048424

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:10 AM

Here's a neat trick, but needs to be used CAREFULLY.
Right click on all the suspect .exe files, one at a time. Check out the properties of each, on the Verson Tab it should list the Company. ie MS, Symantec, NVidia etc.
If you have some suspect files that don't list this information, try renaming them by adding "old" to the start of the file name, so adduz32.exe becomes oldadduz32.exe. You may need to close them in Task Manager if they are running.
By renaming them, they do not get activated by startup lines in the registry. Also by adding the "old" at the start, they are easier to find later to delete.
Run the PC for a week or two, and if these files are not missed, trash them

Cheers,

Simon

#3 bman

bman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:39 PM

Good suggestions. I didn't know about the right click to get the file info. I will pre-screen the active processes since I seem to be hijack free at the moment. If they are running I will assume they are OK.

BTW, I found how to remove the "Home Search Assistent" entry in the Add/Remove Programs control. It is explained in an Annoyances.org foum entry at www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-009

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button