63 replies to this topic

#51 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Link: Facebook: There are over 83 million fake accounts on our site [INFOGRAPHIC]

Facebook has released statistics showing that it believes there are more than 83 million fake accounts on its social network.

Some 8.7% of the site's 955 million users are believed to be bogus ...

(...)

Finally, and perhaps of most interest to Naked Security's readers, we come to the 1.5% of accounts that are categorised as "undesirable". Over 14 million Facebook accounts are used for the primary purpose of sending out spam or other malicious links and content.

Posted Image

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#52 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Link: New Protections for Phishing (Facebook Security page)

Today, Facebook is proud to announce the launch of phish@fb.com, an email address available to the public to report phishing attempts against Facebook. Phishing is any attempt to acquire personal information, such as username, password, or financial information via impersonation or spoofing.

By providing Facebook with reports, we can investigate and request for browser blacklisting and site takedowns where appropriate. We will then work with our eCrime team to ensure we hold bad actors accountable. Additionally, in some cases, we'll be able to identify victims, and secure their accounts.

Plus: How to report phishing to Facebook
Posted Image

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#53 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Face recognition + Facebook:

Currently in Beta: New Facebook app Facedeals scans your face to offer you deals

Facedeals works like this: a camera is installed in a business, let's say a shop. The Facedeals camera scans your face when you enter the shop, checks you in on Facebook and sends your phone a text message offering you a discount or deal tailored to you, based on your Facebook 'like' history.

You'll need to install and authorise the app on Facebook first and let it map your face by scanning through your most recently tagged photos, but anything for a discount, right?

As more pictures are approved, the app 'learns' what you look like. The data is then used to identify you every time you enter somewhere with the Facedeals camera installed.

Posted Image

#54 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Planning a Birthday party? :yahoo: It may be a good idea not to make it a Public event on Facebook:

Facebook party invite sparks riot in Haren, Netherlands (BBC News)

A party invitation which went viral on Facebook ended in rioting and injury after thousands of revellers descended on a small town in the Netherlands.

Haren had been braced for trouble all week after what should have been an invite to a small-scale celebration was passed on to 30,000 people.

The girl whose 16th birthday was being celebrated had not set her Facebook event to "private".

(...)

"She posted the invitation on Facebook and sent it to friends, who then sent it to other friends and soon it spread like wildfire across the internet," Groningen police spokeswoman Melanie Zwama told AFP news agency.

:ph34r:
Posted Image

#55 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Link: Your phone number may not be as private on Facebook as you think - and how to fix it

If you enter someone's phone number into the search box on Facebook, the site can perform a reverse look-up and tell you who the phone number belongs to.

You can see in the screenshot how I entered the mobile phone number of someone I am not Facebook friends with, and instantly was offered their name, photograph and a link to their profile.

When I spoke to the Facebook user in question, she was shocked and surprised that I had been able to find her profile simply by entering her mobile phone number.

She confirmed that her privacy settings were correctly locked down to such an extent that her phone number should only be accessible to her.

:ph34r: :angry:
Posted Image

#56 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Link: Facebook finally enables HTTPS by default

In the blog post, Facebook said that it was finally starting to rollout HTTPS to its North American users, with the rest of the world following "soon".

(...)

If you can't wait for Facebook to turn on HTTPS/SSL in your neck of the woods, you should set it up for yourself. Log into your Facebook account and navigate to Account settings / Security where you should be able to enable "Secure Browsing".

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#57 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Link: Facebook Photo Sync: Nine things you should know

Facebook has introduced a new feature for iPhone, iPad and Android users which means you can automatically sync any photos you take on your mobile device with your Facebook account.
(...)
The photos that you have synced from your phone are not visible to any other Facebook users. When you view your synced photos, you can choose then to share them on your Facebook timeline or send them as a message to a friend.
(...)
If you opt-in to Facebook Photo Sync, you are no longer in charge of what photos you upload to Facebook. In the past, you could decide what images you uploaded to the social network, and which pictures it could analyse for its own purposes.

:search:
Posted Image

#58 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Link: How to report phishing to Facebook

Facebook has today announced a new way in which it hopes to combat phishing scams targeting its 955 million users.

In a post to its Facebook Security page, the social network has explained that the public can now report Facebook-related phishing emails directly to the company.

(...)

Facebook says in its post that by forwarding the message you are helping combat attacks, and could assist in forcing phishing websites offline...

---------

Link2: Privacy Check: See What The Public Sees When They View Your Profile!

Facebook is a great site to share lifes moments with family and friends, but how much of your personal/private information are you exposing to the world?
Posted Image

#59 Ablion

Ablion

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

I think these kind of social sites impacting bad effects in our young generation. Because every child has an account of Facebook and they believe all the things either they are real or fake also many peoples take advantage.

SPAM link removed...

#60 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Quite an informative video on Setting Facebook privacy controls by ConsumerReports...

And something concerning Twitter: Getting started with login verification | Twitter Blog

This is a form of two-factor authentication. When you sign in to twitter.com, theres a second check to make sure its really you. Youll be asked to register a verified phone number and a confirmed email address.

This post may be helpful as well: How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication on Twitter (And Everywhere Else) (Two-Factor Authentication on Twitter, Google, Dropbox, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft)
Posted Image

#61 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Link: 5 tips to make your Facebook account safer

Help better safeguard your Facebook profile with these 5 quick tips.

1. Make sure only your friends can see your profile
2. Control who can contact you on Facebook
3. Limit who can discover your profile based on your email address and/or telephone number
4. Set up login notifications
5. Turn on login approvals

Posted Image

#62 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

Link: 5 more tips to help keep you safe on Facebook

1. Stop search engines from indexing your profile
2. Block someone on Facebook
3. Public computer? Use a one-time password
4. Block an app from accessing your information
5. Remove something from your timeline

Posted Image

#63 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Link: Facebook Graph Search can now paw through your posts and status updates

Graph Search for post and status updates is rolling out slowly to a small group of people who currently have Graph Search, Facebook says, including those who signed up for the limited beta of Graph Search, announced in January.

(...)

To see who can find the things you've shared, you can use privacy shortcuts and Activity Log to review your personal trail of glory and misdeeds to find out just what was shared publicly.

Go to Facebook's Activity Log page to find a list of your posts and activity, from today back to the dawn of your Facebook life.

There, you can find stories and photos you've been tagged in, Pages you've liked, friends you've added, your photos, and photos you're tagged in that are shared with Public.

Even if you're not in the beta group who now should have access to searches of posts and status updates, you can still swab the deck in preparation for whatever mess might spill over once everybody gets the ability to search for every Facebook thing you've ever done.

Posted Image

#64 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Link: Teens can now post publicly on Facebook. Should it be allowed?

On Wednesday, Facebook knocked over a privacy policy that kept underage users from posting publicly.

(...)

The default setting until now has been to limit posts to friends of friends - kind of a door half-open thing. With Wednesday's announcement, Facebook has closed the door a bit more on that, with the default for new teen users now set to limit posts to friends.

However, Facebook's policy changes also now give them the option of opening the door all the way - allowing them to share posts with the general, teeming world of the internet, in all its glory, goodness, depravity and sheer, capitalist drive to sell more potato chips or sports drinks or what have you to those with not-yet-developed neural anatomy.

(...)

Of particular concern is a change to Facebook policy that would rubber-stamp the use of teenagers' names, images and personal information to endorse products in advertisements.

Posted Image

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button