#1 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi

One of our pc's has a problem. on boot a blue screen appears with a message and will not move on.

The message reads

Your computer

If this is the first time you've seen this stpo error restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation backup utilities.Check your hard drive configuration, check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check hard drive corruptioin, and restart your computer.

Technical information:

STOP: 0*00000024 (0*00190203, 0*873558Bo, 0*C0000102, 0*00000000)

We have avg pro, spybot search and destroy, spywareguard and spywareblaster installed. I cannot get past blue screen to run hijackthis or follow advise on message.

I had no problems with this pc but our kids were downloading from limewire this evening and problem started on reboot.

any help will be appreciated

Thank you

pmc101 :scratchhead:

#2 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#3 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hi pmc101, and Welcome Back

Sorry it has taken so long to get to you, but the board has been very busy lately, and all the Helpers here are volunteers.

http://www.avmechani...-0x00000024/93/

The Stop 0◊24 message indicates that a problem occurred within ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives.

Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the systemís ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks.

If you have checked the cabling, and nothing is loose, since you can't boot to trouble-shoot, I would do a repair installation.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below. This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft.

Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

After that, please post a HijackThis log and note any errors encountered. You will need to update Windows after that, but let's wait until we check for infections before doing that since you mentioned using LimeWire.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#4 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Reopened.

Edited by TheJoker, 16 December 2009 - 09:11 PM.

Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

#5 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hi
I have post in topic http://www.spywarein...=1 this error and have received advice from Joker but had to get replacement OS disk from Dell. I have run advice from Joker but there is no repair option in setup just 3 drives.One has no name and is too small for XP, no 2 is c drive and report says it is damaged and will need to be reformated, no 3 is I drive. When I end with F3 PC reboots and I follow Jokers advice to NOT press button on boot from cd option then I see save mode page and then blue sceen error page, hope to save our data but do want to get PC up and running.Any help appreciated pmc101

#6 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi pmc101. As your new topic is for the same problem, I reopened your old topic and merged it with your new topic.

#7 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Since Windows says it can't repair your Windows installation, you will need to reinstall. Since you need to save data files, you can use the rescue disc below to both scan your system to be certain you don't backup any infected files, and also to copy your essential files to flash drive. I would also read this topic: USB/Flash Drive Safety.

F-Secure Rescue CD is a Linux-based application that allows scanning computers without booting from the installed hard drive, or that cannot be booted anymore.

http://www.f-secure....ices/rescue-cd/

This is an ISO file and will need to be burned to CD.
If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Be sure you read the Rescue CD Userís Guide here:
http://www.f-secure....-user-guide.pdf

Since you cannot repair your Windows installation, after scanning the system you can also use Rescue CD and a USB drive to save important data. Note that if you copy data from the computer to the USB drive, this data may contain malware. The Rescue CD cannot scan encrypted disks. This includes for example, Windows Vista/Windows 7 BitLocker disk encryption.

You may need to change the boot options in your system's BIOS setup to allow booting from the CD.
- Burn the ISO file to CD
- Insert the CD and restart your system.
- Follow the prompts, update the virus definitions (requires an Internet connection) and scan your system.
- When finished, then you can use the rescue disc to save your data files to flash drive.

After you save your data files you will need to reinstall Windows.

When you install, since you will be installing from scratch, you need to be certain you delete the previous installation rather than do a Repair installation.

There is an excellent set of instructions at the below link complete with screenshots of what to expect at each step.
http://www.michaelst...tall.html#steps

You should print out those instructions before proceeding.
Have the installation discs or a saved install file handy for your antivirus and firewall.
Disconnect from the Internet before proceeding with the installation (pull your connection cable).

When you get to step 10b, choose to delete the partition by pressing "D". You will then be prompted to create a new partition in the empty space. This will remove all data from the deleted space.

After you reinstall Windows:
  • Install your Antivirus.
  • Install your Firewall.
  • Reconnect to the Internet.
  • Update your AntiVirus.
  • Go to Windows Update and install SP3 and ALL critical updates.
  • After that, please post a HijackThis log.

#8 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi Joker
I have tried to boot using cd and usb with rescue disk but pc just goes to blue screen error. I change boot sequence in bios to suit but it does not work.

Any advise

pmc101

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

I would not expect a blue screen error if you actually booted from the CD. When you attempted to boot from the CD, did you see the F-Secure Rescue CD logo and the message "Wait 15 seconds to boot normally or press enter to start Rescue CD"?

Then you should see "Loading F-Secure", followed by "Welcome to Rescue CD 3.11".

If you didn't see that, you did not successfully boot to the CD and possibly still tried to boot from the hard drive.

#10 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hi Joker
Merry Christmas
I am using usb stick 4G at the moment and it flashes active but screen is blank with cursor flashing in top left.
pmc101

#11 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

What about when you tried to boot from CD? to be sure the disc was burned properly, the F-Secure file was in ISO format.
If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

When you attempt to boot from the CD, do you see the results I mentioned above that you should see when the system boots from the F-Secure Rescue CD?

#12 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi joker

I had no luck with pc and have decided to clean install. I followed instruction found here http://helpdesk.its....ns/reformat.htm
but when system reboots after install it loops back to install and will not move on to xp add data page and if i remove disk and reboot it says that there is no bootable drive
pmc101

#13 pmc101

pmc101

pmc101

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi joker
I have gotten past the drive problem but not on reboot it says no bootable partition on table. I create a partition on unpartitioned space and delete other partitions , then format partition using nfts. If i leave disk in drive it just goes to setup
pmc101

#14 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

If necessary, you may need to change your BIOS configuration to boot from the CD drive first while Windows is being installed, and then at the first reboot, change the configuration back to boot from the hard drive first.

#15 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button