Slow Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hey guys. Well, I have a story to tell, so I hope y'all don't mind a read.

It all started a week or so ago when I bought a new headset (I feel this is irrelevant, but you're the experts)...

My computer had been working fine and without viruses or serious problems for almost a year. There was nothing wrong with it at all, except maybe a rather loud Microsoft Sam shouting at me that avast! had updated successfully. Then I noticed something: My computer had been getting slower. It was a little bit at a time, not really a huge deal. After a little while, though, it started going even slower. I decided to use my dear old friend Google and see if I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I did a full virus scan (clean) and a defrag, but that didn't help. So I started uninstalling the things I didn't need and switching from resource-hogging programs to better ones (Winamp to foobar, for example). None of this helped. I continued going about my day when I was suggested a program for my slow computer by a friend of mine. He stated that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware was exactly what I needed, so I believed him. I downloaded the program, installed it, then ran an update. However, the program did not update. Instead, it gave me an error. What I did from there was search their forums to try to find how to fix this problem. I came across a topic with the same problem and the kind support fellow told the guy to uninstall the program, use a registry cleaner to clear the registry of potential leftovers (CCleaner, he suggested, so I did), then restart the computer. I read this and figured, "Well, if it worked for him, why not me?" I followed what he said and upon trying to reinstall the program, I get this error. I Googled the error (catching a theme yet?) and found that the only solution (that Google could find, anyway) was to turn off UAC and rename the file. Knowing that UAC was a royal pain in the ass (excuse my French), I already had it disabled, so I renamed the file, tried to install again, but got the same error. Now what? Well, I guess that's where I'm at right now. My computer lags a bit when I'm loading websites, making a repetitious noise if I'm listening to music (the music lagging too, I'm guessing), and that error even pops up when I try to install Spybot - Search & Destroy. Something tells me it's a Vista problem, and I've seen on other sites that sometimes Vista just craps out, but my computer isn't even a year old. I'm also running on a family computer, so reinstalling the operating system is really the last possible solution for me. I have never once had this bad of a problem with my computer before, so I figured I might as well sign up on a support board and ask for help there. I came across this forum and figured why not.

Anyway, let's get down to business...

My operating system is Windows Vista SP2 (64-bit). (Not even a year old.)
My computer is using a router.
I am experiencing a sluggish system and frequent freezes.
My computer has no known viruses.
My computer's firewall (COMODO, not Windows Firewall) has been on and off for about two weeks due to me getting extremely frustrated with its inability to allow me to go through a single day without telling me I can't run a program I wanted to run. (I did just fine without a firewall in the past, but again, you're the experts.)

I believe that's it, but I could be missing something. I greatly appreciate your time in reading and hope you can assure me there's something else to do other than a fresh install of Vista.

Thanks again and happy Fourth,

Justin

Hi,

Help us help you.

Please read this article and follow the protocol.
http://spywareinfofo...showtopic=23382
Then submit a fresh HijackThis log. One of our helpers will take care of you. It's the only way we can give you sound advice.

Edited by TEF, 13 July 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#2 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

I'm not quite sure where I didn't follow protocol, nasdaq. I made sure to read everything I could before actually posting... Oh, right. If you mean the topic title, I apologize. I must have missed that part somehow, but I cannot edit it due to IPB's hate. (Feel free to edit it yourself, though. I personally cannot.)

Anyway, somehow I installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but I've not yet run a full scan.

HijackThis log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:01:07 PM, on 7/5/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\WhatPulse\WhatPulse.exe
C:\Users\Justin\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\mIRC\mirc.exe
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\samp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...a...ion&pf=cndt
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...a...ion&pf=cndt
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.h...a...ion&pf=cndt
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ArcSoft Connection Service] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QT Lite\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WhatPulse] C:\Program Files (x86)\WhatPulse\WhatPulse.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Justin\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.m...ent/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1C8270E1-2151-45A0-8D4E-640B40F6ACBB}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1C8270E1-2151-45A0-8D4E-640B40F6ACBB}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
O23 - Service: ArcSoft Connect Daemon (ACDaemon) - ArcSoft Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service 64 - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService64.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (X86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 9239 bytes

Is this alright? Again, I apologize for not following the protocol.

#3 SWI Support Robot

SWI Support Robot

Helper robot

• SWI Bot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to SWI. We apologize for the delay; our helpers have been very busy.
If you have not received help after 3 days, please CLICK HERE, and post a link to your log and the date it was originally posted.

Thank you for your patience.

[this is an automated reply]
This is an automated message. It does not count as help.

#4 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hi TEF and welcome to SWI.

My apologies for the delay; we're all volunteers, and we've been swamped.

Do you still need help? If so, please register (it's free, don't worry) with PCPitStop and run the full tests here. When the tests are complete, a results page will pop up. Copy and paste the URL of the Results screen and post it here for me.

-screen317

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#5 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

I've done this scan before and it told me to update my drivers. The thing is, I can't find where to download said drivers. They give me a link to their own drivers site, but I have to pay for that. So I go looking on the drivers' website. I find an older version there. So I go to Hewlett-Packard's website. An even older version there... Am I looking in the wrong places or is PC Pitstop lying to me about the drivers? Call me crazy, but I don't think a third party would have driver updates that the official websites do not.

In any sense, here's the URL: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=22383778

Thanks for your reply.

#6 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hi TEF,

PCPitStop reports that your PC is in fine shape. Don't worry about driver updates for now; you seem to be on top of it. :thumbup:

What I do see are unnecessary programs running at startup which are taking up system resources. We can remove the unnecessary entries to free up resources. Would you like to investigate that avenue?

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#7 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Anything that would help my computer stop locking up randomly would be greatly appreciated. What should I do next?

#8 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Okay.

First...

Knowing that UAC was a royal pain...

...UAC is what separates Vista from XP, security-wise. I recommend enabling it immediately.

Next, do you recall exactly when the freezing began happening? Perhaps after a new software or hardware installation?

First, please back your Registry with ERUNT.
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Please open Notepad. Copy and paste the following text (starting with REGEDIT4) into the Notepad document.

Navigate to File --> Save As..., and save the file as Fix.reg (make sure the Save As Type is set to All Files).

Save it to your Desktop.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HP Software Update"=-
"AdobeCS4ServiceManager"=-
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"=-
"SunJavaUpdateSched"=-
"QuickTime Task"=-
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"WhatPulse"=-
"Google Update"=-

Now navigate to your Desktop, and double click fix.reg (Click Yes to the prompt)

Restart your computer a couple of times and let me know if you notice any difference.

-screen317

#9 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

Few things before we continue (sorry)...

Ever since I've disabled UAC, things on my computer have been running more smoothly and I can easily access files again. I have no idea why, but whenever I enable UAC, certain files save in different places than where they should be. (For example, I play games online. When UAC is disabled, screenshots save in the Program Files folder instead of in the hidden Application Data.) As far as security goes, I'm well aware of what I run on my computer and my own intentions. I have proper protection against viruses and have never had a malicious program on the computer try to gain access through anything. I've come to the conclusion that this particular forum and its experts are all for UAC, but I've heard (and noticed myself) otherwise. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ignoring your suggestion, as I see you as someone who knows quite well what he's talking about, but I do want to let you know what has worked for me and exactly what I'm doing. (If you have a fix for the strange UAC behavior, I would love to hear it, by the way. This has been bewildering me for about seven months.)

As for anything new that has been installed since the freezing started, only my headset. But it didn't come with drivers or the like. I've tried shutting down the computer, taking them out, then turning the computer back on to see if it was the headset. The annoying little skipping in my sound still happened. Could this skipping and locking up (lockups are five seconds maximum, then the computer goes back to functioning) just be caused by my computer being on for longer periods of time? I'm out of school and am on it more frequently, so that was one thought that arose.

For the startup programs, I notice you have Google Update & WhatPulse marked for deletion. While I really couldn't care less about Google Update, WhatPulse is something I'd like to continue having on startup. It's a just a statistical tool for tracking keys typed, clicks made, and mouse movement. It's for fun and not an actual keylogger. I've been running it for about as long as I've had this computer and know it's a trusted source, but if it's absolutely necessary I will remove it from startup.

Once again, I'm not trying to shove away your free assistance, and I trust you'll understand, but I'm the type of person who asks an abundance of things—an annoyance to most support lines.

Edited by TEF, 20 July 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#10 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hi TEF,

Ever since I've disabled UAC, things on my computer have been running more smoothly and I can easily access files again. I have no idea why, but whenever I enable UAC, certain files save in different places than where they should be. (For example, I play games online. When UAC is disabled, screenshots save in the Program Files folder instead of in the hidden Application Data.) As far as security goes, I'm well aware of what I run on my computer and my own intentions. I have proper protection against viruses and have never had a malicious program on the computer try to gain access through anything. I've come to the conclusion that this particular forum and its experts are all for UAC, but I've heard (and noticed myself) otherwise. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ignoring your suggestion, as I see you as someone who knows quite well what he's talking about, but I do want to let you know what has worked for me and exactly what I'm doing. (If you have a fix for the strange UAC behavior, I would love to hear it, by the way. This has been bewildering me for about seven months.)

Even though you are safer with 64bit Windows Vista, your computer is not immune to infection, and especially less so with UAC disabled. I gave you my position and recommendation. It is your choice what you will and will not follow.

Which game is it? There has to be a setting somewhere to determine which folder screenshots get stored in. Saving them in Application Data would require administrative approval (that annoying box that comes up), so with UAC, it has permissions to store them there; without UAC, it has to store them somewhere else.

As for anything new that has been installed since the freezing started, only my headset. But it didn't come with drivers or the like. I've tried shutting down the computer, taking them out, then turning the computer back on to see if it was the headset. The annoying little skipping in my sound still happened. Could this skipping and locking up (lockups are five seconds maximum, then the computer goes back to functioning) just be caused by my computer being on for longer periods of time? I'm out of school and am on it more frequently, so that was one thought that arose.

You didn't mention skipping sound before... Doubtful that they're a result of the computer staying on for extended periods of time.

For the startup programs, I notice you have Google Update & WhatPulse marked for deletion. While I really couldn't care less about Google Update, WhatPulse is something I'd like to continue having on startup. It's a just a statistical tool for tracking keys typed, clicks made, and mouse movement. It's for fun and not an actual keylogger. I've been running it for about as long as I've had this computer and know it's a trusted source, but if it's absolutely necessary I will remove it from startup.

Sure thing. It was just for troubleshooting purposes. Since I imagine you haven't run my Registry fix, please don't. I'd like to try a couple of other things first to troubleshoot (easy to revert).

Click Start and type in msconfig.exe

Right click the file msconfig.exe that will appear, and select Run as Admin...

Click the Startup tab, then click Disable all...

Click OK.

Restart your computer and use it normally for a bit, and let me know if the problem persists. If not, that means one or more of your items running on startup are to blame. If the problem still persists, we will attempt other avenues of troubleshooting.

Let me know how it goes.

-screen317

#11 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Even though you are safer with 64bit Windows Vista, your computer is not immune to infection, and especially less so with UAC disabled. I gave you my position and recommendation. It is your choice what you will and will not follow.

I understand. I was simply trying to be respectful.

Which game is it? There has to be a setting somewhere to determine which folder screenshots get stored in. Saving them in Application Data would require administrative approval (that annoying box that comes up), so with UAC, it has permissions to store them there; without UAC, it has to store them somewhere else.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but there's actually not any setting for it. The setting seems to be UAC.

You didn't mention skipping sound before...

I apologize. I phrased it differently before, but I indeed said it...

My computer lags a bit when I'm loading websites, making a repetitious noise if I'm listening to music (the music lagging too, I'm guessing)

Click the Startup tab, then click Disable all...

Even the Intel and Realtek entries? I've disabled a few useless entries in the past, but I never knew I could disable the system entries without causing error.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Edited by TEF, 21 July 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#12 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

Even the Intel and Realtek entries? I've disabled a few useless entries in the past, but I never knew I could disable the system entries without causing error.

Intel and Realtek aren't "system entries."

You might experience some temporary problems (disabling Realtek might knock out your sound all together), but I just want you to temporarily disable them to see if the computer still locks up.

After you check that, you can enable everything again and everything will go back to how it initially was...

#13 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

I disabled everything and the randomized lockups still started happening after about ten hours of the computer being on (same as with the startup items). You say it's doubtful that it's because the computer is more active, so is there another possibility?

Edited by TEF, 22 July 2009 - 11:13 AM.

#14 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Something has to be responsible for it.

Download Process Explorer from here:
http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Open it and leave it open. Sort the list by descending CPU usage. When the computer begins to lock up, see if any processes spike to 100% CPU usage. If so, let me know which it is.

#15 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Well, I've been running the Process Explorer for quite some time now, but I've come across nothing suspicious. The skipping of my music started after about 11 hours of having the computer up and running, but the thing is that it's usually the songs I've been playing most frequently. If I change to a different song, raise the volume a bit, then change back to the overplayed song, it's fine again; however, the skipping does come back after a bit. It's really strange. Oh! The process that hogged the most CPU was foobar, averaging around 10-20% (well, 10-20 under "CPU" on Process Explorer). (EDIT: Two hours without foobar running, svchost.exe has seemed to take over with around 20-40. A few other programs go up and down too. Let me know if you want a screenshot or something.) No random lockups as of today, but I'll be sure to keep Process Explorer up and running whenever I'm on the computer. (EDIT: Once I closed Mozilla Firefox, my computer froze for a few seconds. Is it Firefox's fault or somehow my own? If you have any information regarding the sound problem, though, that would still be awesome.)

Also, I screwed up. I made Process Explorer "Replace Task Manager." Is there any possible way to revert this? I know it was probably a very stupid thing for me to do, but I thought it would do something else (like every time I tried to run Task Manager, Process Explorer would pop up instead). I apologize for this act of stupidity. I guess it just piqued my curiosity. (EDIT: Solved by itself. I think it was just a one-time error or something.)

Edited by TEF, 23 July 2009 - 01:32 AM.

#16 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hi TEF,

When svchost.exe spikes to 20-40%, double click it and post a screenshot of what comes up.

Even so, 20-40% shouldn't result in a lock up... Watch what happens in Process Explorer as the skipping is occurring.

Foobar itself may be the issue.

Try playing the songs in SongBird and see if the sound still skips.

-screen317

#17 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

As the skipping is occurring, it's really only foobar that's taking up more CPU. As for when the lockups happen, it's usually when I close Firefox after having it open for so long. The lockups also happen during shutdown, freezing for a few seconds after I click "Shut Down."

Oh, and Songbird refuses to load for me. I've tried to reinstall it, but it just won't start up.

#18 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

What about with Windows Media Player?

#19 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

Windows Media Player caused skipping too. I switched to Winamp because of it, but then I started lagging because I had a lot of music in my library. I switched to foobar because it's not a resource hog and doesn't lag my system at all with the many files I have. The only problem is that I still experience the skipping after a few hours of the computer being on.

#20 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

Realtek's site shows a very recent driver update; download the one appropriate for your OS:

http://www.realtek.c...mp;DownTypeID=3

Install it, restart your computer, and let me know if you see any improvement.

-screen317

#21 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Wow, Realtek's servers are slow. Anyway, I've downloaded and installed the update. Let's hope this solves the sound problem. If not, would there be much else that could be done?

Also, about the random lockups... is it definitely Firefox causing it or something else?

Thank you for your repeated assistance.

#22 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Wow, Realtek's servers are slow.

Many people trying to download at the same time I imagine.

If not, would there be much else that could be done?

Not much off the top of my head; if it doesn't work though, I will consult with my colleagues and do more research to see if I can come up with anything.

Also, about the random lockups... is it definitely Firefox causing it or something else?

I'm not 100% sure at this point. Which version of Firefox are you using?

Try using Internet Explorer for extended periods of time to see if it locks up too; if not, Firefox is probably to blame.

#23 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Oh, look at that! I had Firefox 3.0.11 when the latest version is 3.5.1. How lovely. Let's see if this solves the lockups.

I just have one more question...

My computer has been making a bit of noise lately. It's a soft little noise that goes on for about a minute or two, then goes away. (It's also worth mentioning that it only occurs after being on for around ten or so hours.) Should I be worrying about this?

Thank you again for your patience.

Edited by TEF, 23 July 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#24 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

My computer has been making a bit of noise lately. It's a soft little noise that goes on for about a minute or two, then goes away. (It's also worth mentioning that it only occurs after being on for around ten or so hours.) Should I be worrying about this?

Might be related to the locking up-- wish you would've mentioned it sooner.

Find out where the noise is coming from. Open up the case and pinpoint where it comes from as it's happening.

#25 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

I didn't mention it as it only started happening last evening. The locking up did start before the sound came into the picture, though. This much I'm certain of. As for opening up the case, well, I'll try, but I can't guarantee anything. It's a family computer and let's just say my options are quite limited. Again, it's not that loud of a noise; in fact, I need to hold my head right next to the tower to even hear it (and even then it's quiet).

Edited by TEF, 23 July 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#26 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

It's a family computer and let's just say my options are quite limited.

You don't have to touch anything inside; just take off the case and listen to hear where it's coming from...

#27 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Well, the noise isn't happening after about ten hours of the computer being on, but when it does it comes from the bottom of the computer in the front. The skipping of sound started up again, though. It seems to skip the most when I'm loading up pages. Perhaps it has to do with Firefox again, as when I load up pages in Internet Explorer it's just fine. When I close Firefox, my computer still experiences a lockup for a few seconds. I really love Firefox, but if it's causing me such trouble, I guess I'll have to switch to another browser.

EDIT: I've tried other browsers and if they are open for an extended period of time, they will cause a lockup upon exit. Is there any possible way to fix this?

Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by TEF, 24 July 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#28 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Well, the noise isn't happening after about ten hours of the computer being on, but when it does it comes from the bottom of the computer in the front.

Hmm, well it has to be coming from something...

It seems like everything begins occurring only after the computer is on for 10 hours.

What graphics card do you have installed?

EDIT: I've tried other browsers and if they are open for an extended period of time, they will cause a lockup upon exit. Is there any possible way to fix this?

Is it only exiting browsers that causes a lockup? Or any program? Perhaps your RAM may be at fault. Test your memory with MemTest86 and let me know what it reports.

screen317

#29 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

Is it only exiting browsers that causes a lockup? Or any program? Perhaps your RAM may be at fault. Test your memory with MemTest86 and let me know what it reports.

It's either closing a browser or shutting off the computer (again, only after an extended period of time). It looks like I need to copy it to a CD/DVD for Memtest... I don't have any.

What graphics card do you have installed?

A crappy on-board one. I believe the name is Intel Media Accelerator 3100.

Edited by TEF, 24 July 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#30 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

Okay scratch the graphics card idea.

Do you have a flash drive?

#31 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

Haha, alright. (Any reason, though? Just wondering.)

Yes, I do. What should I do with it? ;)

Edited by TEF, 24 July 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#32 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Haha, alright. (Any reason, though? Just wondering.)

If it wasn't an onboard graphics card, it may have been the issue, but you is, so it's not. :)

Yes, I do. What should I do with it? ;)

Go here:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Scroll down to ** Memtest86+ V2.11 (22/12/2008) **

Click the link that says Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

You can use your flash drive instead of a CD for memtest.

#33 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

Does this support 64-bit Vista? I just got this error when I tried to run it...

I probably did something stupid, didn't I?

Edited by TEF, 24 July 2009 - 11:25 PM.

#34 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

No not your fault. My mistake.

I should have seen this sooner: let's use Vista's native RAM tester. Check out this guide:
http://www.howtogeek...iagnostic-tool/

Let me know if you have any questions, and let me know how it goes.

-screen317

#35 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

No memory problems were found (I'd give you a screenshot of it, but the icon went away before I could)...

Maybe I should just shut it down regularly?

Edited by TEF, 25 July 2009 - 12:17 AM.

#36 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

Maybe...

I'm going to consult with my colleagues and see what opinions I can gather.

#37 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

TEF,

Yikes.

My apologies for the extreme delay in replying.

Do you still need help?

#38 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

I apologize for my own delay—I was visiting my aunt for a few weeks.

I would love any ideas you may have, so feel free to share. (Don't worry about your delay, as I know I'm low priority. Let's face it, it's not like my computer is on the verge of death.)

Edited by TEF, 15 August 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#39 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hi TEF,

Let's give this a try:

Navigate to Start --> Run, and enter the following command:

cmd.exe

Press Enter and a black box should pop up.

Enter the following into the box:

chkdsk /r

Press Enter. It should prompt you to restart your computer to perform the scan. Accept the prompt to do so.

When it completes, use your computer normally for a bit and see if the issue persists.

-screen317

#40 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Excuse my question, but what exactly would that do? I've heard it suggested time and time again, but I still have no idea. Perhaps you could inform me? I just want to know if I'll lose any data.

#41 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:36 PM

If checks the health of your hard drive and scans for damaged sectors. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't believe it may be of assistance.

I've also never had any reports of lost data after running it.

Hope that answers your question.

-screen317

#42 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

I don't think it found any errors, but I'm still experiencing the sound skipping. Could it be a program I run that is causing this?

#43 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

Excuse my double-post, but something else has just started to happen with my computer. Within the past few days, it has been taking longer to log into my account. It's not every day, though, but rather every few startups. I'll start up the computer as normal, click on my account name, then watch the "Welcome" for about five minutes until I manually shut the computer off (pushing the power button). Once it starts up again, it gives me that "Windows did not shut down correctly" screen, I hit the "Start Windows normally," and does so. I click my name, it loads within ten seconds, and it's all good again. But why is it screwing up every now and then?

I don't know how to explain this properly, so excuse the bad phrasing, but when the above happens something else does: the welcome screen, after the black loading screen, loads jagged. Like, it will load the top-left portion of the welcome screen like this, then it will load completely (blue part is the welcome screen, black is ... black). Excuse the Paint tragedy, but that's the only way I can describe it. I hope you understand me, but if you don't, thanks for trying anyway. I'll keep on looking for how to describe it correctly.

I apologize if I should have made a new topic. I just figured this matched the topic title and it has to do with random freezes as well.

Edited by TEF, 20 August 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#44 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

TEF,

All of these random OS issues are rather difficult to troubleshoot, especially since they only happen intermittently.

It may be in your best interest to back up important data, then format your drive with your Windows CD, then reinstall Windows.

If the issues continue after that, it is likely a hardware issue that needs to be troubleshooted by someone with the proper tools to do so.

Let me know what you would like to do.

-screen317

#45 TEF

TEF

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

My computer didn't come with a CD, it came with a recovery partition. I was told this was the same thing as having a Windows CD—is it? In any sense, I do plan on reinstalling my operating system after I get an external hard drive, but the problems aren't that bad—are they? To be honest, I just wanted to know why all of a sudden these problems were piling on. I guess no-one knows, eh? Oh well. I understand you've probably exhausted your resources, but if you come up with anything that may be of the slightest use to my situation, it'd be much appreciated. For now, however, I think it's best for this topic to be locked.

Thank you very much for your kind support.

Regards,

Justin D.

Edited by TEF, 20 August 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#46 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Justin, you can try the Recovery Partition. Not all are the same so I cannot comment on yours specifically. By all means try it once you've backed up your files, and let me know the outcome.

If the issue persists after using the Recovery Partition, then I am confident that it is a hardware issue.

-screen317

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button