Problem user?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:17 AM

Alright, I really don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I figure I should get a few more opinions before bothering the moderators about this. I don't know a lot about Hijack This logs, but I was able to spot bad advice.

In my thread, a user with the name "Baris" told me to delete a bunch of benign programs. He doesn't seem qualified to give out advice to me. At best he seems incompetent. At worst he seems malicious.

I may be wrong, but I think he is just trying to cause problems. He is telling various people to delete things that don't seem spyware related in the least.

(edit: See below)

That is a link to the search results. What do you think? Should the mods be contacted?

If so, how?

Edited by Novadistortion, 02 July 2004 - 09:35 AM.

"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Your computer, your castle... but don't forget to put in a moat:

How Did I Get Infected In The First Place
HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S
How To Set Up Ad-Aware/Spybot S&D
HouseCall Online Virus Scan

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:27 AM

We're contacted by your posting this. :)
That member has already come to our attention. He has been Warned and will be suspended if it continues.
Your link shows your own posts - here's the set of his. http://forums.spywar...sult_type=posts

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for getting to this so quickly. I hope I didn't over-react to the issue, but I noticed that today someone followed his/her advice to delete a good number of items from their logs. I hope it didn't cause any actual damage.
"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:11 AM

I edited this one http://forums.spywar...indpost&p=46938

Got this user to restore http://forums.spywar...indpost&p=46994

Any others that look like imminent disaster?

UNITE

#5 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:34 AM

This one probably is:

http://forums.spywar...showtopic=11669

List of items to remove include a few legit items. I think this one also requires a special tool to fix.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#6 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:45 AM

Thanks, I edited http://forums.spywar...indpost&p=45882

Can you take on that thread please, VashonDude, if/when the user replies.

UNITE

#7 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:20 AM

I've take that thread. I've already instructed the user to restore any entries Baris had him remove.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#8 mjp65aa

mjp65aa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:08 PM

Novadistortion and all members,

I am new to this board. I joined SWI boot camp last night as a means to learn and to give something back. I am not qualified to give advice on logs or fixing infected computers yet. However, I have learned that the system set up behind the scenes here is very good and greatly reduces the chances of despencing bad advice. Trainees must pass a test before helping to remove infections. But even after they do this, they disscuss the advice they plan to give with trusted advisors and experts before they post it. I was a little apprehensive about joining because I feared giving bad advice, but I can see there is very little chance of that because of the checks and balances in place. I post this here to let all members know that most of the time advice given by helpers, who may be very talented themselves, includes the collective knowledge of many trusted advisors and experts working behind the scenes.

Cnm even makes us take spelling and grammer classes if we need. : )
mjp65

#9 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

Novadistortion and all members,

I am new to this board. I joined SWI boot camp last night as a means to learn and to give something back. I am not qualified to give advice on logs or fixing infected computers yet. However, I have learned that the system set up behind the scenes here is very good and greatly reduces the chances of despencing bad advice. Trainees must pass a test before helping to remove infections. But even after they do this, they disscuss the advice they plan to give with trusted advisors and experts before they post it. I was a little apprehensive about joining because I feared giving bad advice, but I can see there is very little chance of that because of the checks and balances in place. I post this here to let all members know that most of the time advice given by helpers, who may be very talented themselves, includes the collective knowledge of many trusted advisors and experts working behind the scenes.

Cnm even makes us take spelling and grammer classes if we need. : )

:D

Yeah, I know. I signed up too.

I caught on pretty quickly when he told me to remove some yahoo chess plugins. I did a little more looking and just mentioned it to everyone else he posted to. Unfortunately, one person followed his advice before I noticed. I figure that is evidence enough that some people will not look before they leap and just trust people blindly.

You are right, there is an excellent system for keeping the advice of the helpers mistake free. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work against users who come in with malicous intent. So, things work fine as long as people make sure that their advice comes from the forums helpers. It really is a sad thing that people can't just trust one another though.

HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users