• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pearlly

Is Skype P2P program ?

8 posts in this topic

G'day

I downloaded skype after a friend recommended to me. But then in their webiste, it says "skype is a peer-to-peer program". P2P ?? This scares me out. i downloaded but not yet use the skype, as I want to be sure it is safe to use, and not put myself in security problems. I am a non-techie, when I had a virus problems with my pc a while back, my helper in spywareforum told me NEVER ever use a P2P program, it sounds like Skype falls in this category. Please correct me if it is not. Anything to do with security will catch my attentions after that long fight with virus issues. It took me 3 and a half months to fix it. So has anyone been experiencing any security issues with Skype? Any pros and cons? Any practical advices on how to maintain safety ?

thanks alot

Pearlly

Ok, this is a positive review. Thanks, Senbonzakura. I have read some bad reviews about it and get fricky out. It says skype bypass firewall, and allows virus install in your computer. Any more feedback on skype ?? Any pros and cons will be appreciated. Also, is there a list to tell me which P2P is safe, and which is not? Any suggestion.

thanks

Pearlly

Skype is technically a P2P (Peer to Peer) program, in that, more than one peer participates in communication.

It is not the same as a P2P sharing program, such as Limewire, Kazaa, Bearshare, uTorrent, BitTorrent, etc., which utilize a large peer network to share files (often illegally).

Skype is a great program (I use it for communicating with relatives in other parts of the world for free :D ).

Take a look at this article for more information about "clean" P2P programs, which don't necessarily bundle malware, but the risks associated with P2P sharing are alive and well:

Edit: fixed link-- sorry!!

http://www.spywareinfoforum.info/articles/p2p/

Edited by screen317

screen, I've disabled your link, it goes to the old defunct site.

This is a useful list:

http://www.malwareremoval.com/p2pindex.php

As screen317 says, Skype is a great program.

Thanks alot, screen317, jedi & the joker . I think I got the basic ideas, so if a program/software will allow me to download files from someone else computer, it is unsafe. If a software just asks me to share my pc screen, so we can see each other's screen, but not download, it is safe, right? thanks for your patient explanation.

thanks again

Pearlly

P2P programs are not necessarily unsafe themselves (although some are as they install malware); the problem is that the software you download may be infected, and often is. It's like Russian roulette, and if it's infected, will your antivirus detect that particular virus or other malware. Even simply downloading audio files can bring unwanted malware.