• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sue2404

Do I need all of this?

10 posts in this topic

Since freeing myself - with tons of help from here!- of the dreaded about:blank problem I have installed the following s/ware -

Mozilla Firefox

Sun Java

Trojan Hunter Scanner

Adaware 6.0

a2

AVG av

Browser Hijack Blaster

Kerio firewall

Spybot S&D

Spyware Blaster

Registrar Lite

Windows Washer

X-cleaner

CW Shredder

Find'n'fix

Hijack this

and already had Norton av/is

Please could someone more knowledgeable than me - not hard! - tell me whether I need ALL of it and if not what can go (i.e. where I'm doubling up)?

Many thanks,

Sue

Mozilla Firefox

This is the biggie, if you use this as your primary browser, your need of the other stuff is much lesser.

Sun Java

Definitely, MS JAVA is too trashy to consider. Keep unless you dont intend to use java at all on websites.

Trojan Hunter Scanner

Adaware 6.0

a2

AVG av

Kerio firewall

Keep.

Browser Hijack Blaster

In my view perhaps least useful of the bunch here.

Spybot S&D

Spyware Blaster

Registrar Lite

Windows Washer

X-cleaner

CW Shredder

Hijack this

Keep. They won't hurt.

I think these are the essentials from your list, from a security point of view:

Kerio firewall

Mozilla Firefox

Sun Java

Trojan Hunter Scanner

AVG or Norton av

Hijack this

Spybot S&D

Adaware 6.0

Spyware Blaster (for IE)

Running two AV programs can cause conflict problems. As you have Norton AV as well as AVG, you will need to decide which will be your 'active' real-time protection. The other can be used as an 'on-demand' scanner if you want to keep it.

:wave:

Edited by Freebird

I would have to agree with Paranoids recommendations. But would like to add that SpywareGuard is the tool now recommended (and created) by Javacool for avoiding hijacks. Browser hijack blaster is outdated, and not as good as SpywareGuard at defending you from hijacks. I don't think he is even updating BHB anymore.

When you said you had NIS, did you mean you did have it, or that you are now using it? Because, you wouldn't want to use Kerio firewall along with the firewall in NIS.

Thank you Freebird and Lonewolf.

Re Norton - yes, I renewed the subscription only a couple of months ago so I've kept it on. Should I completely remove it or just knock off the firewall - I assume Kerio is a better firewall?

Thanks for the advice about SpywareGuard - I'll act on that.

Thank you Freebird and Lonewolf.

Re Norton - yes, I renewed the subscription only a couple of months ago so I've kept it on. Should I completely remove it or just knock off the firewall - I assume Kerio is a better firewall?

I think they should completely knock off the firewall (keep the antivirus if possible) to play safe.

As for kerio , yes it is the better firewall, in the right hands.

I suspect that 'the right hands' are maybe a little beyond me. Some of the permit/deny options that come up look like a foreign language and I have little knowledge of the right course of action so I tend to end up denying a huge amount of them. Does anyone have any tips or is there a really good firewall that would be more appropriate to my level of expertise (low!)?

I suspect that 'the right hands' are maybe a little beyond me. Some of the permit/deny options that come up look like a foreign language and I have little knowledge of the right course of action so I tend to end up denying a huge amount of them. Does anyone have any tips or is there a really good firewall that would be more appropriate to my level of expertise (low!)?

Zone alarm free is always a big favourite with the newbies.

Zone alarm free is always a big favourite with the newbies.

Thanks - I'll have a look at that or try and engage my brain and wade through the help section of Kerio!