Do I need all of this?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sue2404

sue2404

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

Since freeing myself - with tons of help from here!- of the dreaded about:blank problem I have installed the following s/ware -

Mozilla Firefox
Sun Java
Trojan Hunter Scanner
Adaware 6.0
a2
AVG av
Browser Hijack Blaster
Kerio firewall
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Registrar Lite
Windows Washer
X-cleaner
CW Shredder
Find'n'fix
Hijack this

and already had Norton av/is

Please could someone more knowledgeable than me - not hard! - tell me whether I need ALL of it and if not what can go (i.e. where I'm doubling up)?

Many thanks,
Sue

#2 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

Mozilla Firefox

This is the biggie, if you use this as your primary browser, your need of the other stuff is much lesser.

Sun Java

Definitely, MS JAVA is too trashy to consider. Keep unless you dont intend to use java at all on websites.

Trojan Hunter Scanner
Adaware 6.0
a2
AVG av
Kerio firewall

Keep.

Browser Hijack Blaster

In my view perhaps least useful of the bunch here.

Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Registrar Lite
Windows Washer
X-cleaner
CW Shredder
Hijack this

Keep. They won't hurt.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#3 sue2404

sue2404

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

Thank you very much - will act on your advice.

#4 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

I think these are the essentials from your list, from a security point of view:

Kerio firewall
Mozilla Firefox
Sun Java
Trojan Hunter Scanner
AVG or Norton av
Hijack this
Spybot S&D
Adaware 6.0
Spyware Blaster (for IE)

Running two AV programs can cause conflict problems. As you have Norton AV as well as AVG, you will need to decide which will be your 'active' real-time protection. The other can be used as an 'on-demand' scanner if you want to keep it.

:wave:

Edited by Freebird, 02 July 2004 - 04:55 PM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:15 AM

I would have to agree with Paranoids recommendations. But would like to add that SpywareGuard is the tool now recommended (and created) by Javacool for avoiding hijacks. Browser hijack blaster is outdated, and not as good as SpywareGuard at defending you from hijacks. I don't think he is even updating BHB anymore.

When you said you had NIS, did you mean you did have it, or that you are now using it? Because, you wouldn't want to use Kerio firewall along with the firewall in NIS.

#6 sue2404

sue2404

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:52 AM

Thank you Freebird and Lonewolf.

Re Norton - yes, I renewed the subscription only a couple of months ago so I've kept it on. Should I completely remove it or just knock off the firewall - I assume Kerio is a better firewall?

Thanks for the advice about SpywareGuard - I'll act on that.

#7 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

Thank you Freebird and Lonewolf.

Re Norton - yes, I renewed the subscription only a couple of months ago so I've kept it on. Should I completely remove it or just knock off the firewall - I assume Kerio is a better firewall?

I think they should completely knock off the firewall (keep the antivirus if possible) to play safe.

As for kerio , yes it is the better firewall, in the right hands.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#8 sue2404

sue2404

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

I suspect that 'the right hands' are maybe a little beyond me. Some of the permit/deny options that come up look like a foreign language and I have little knowledge of the right course of action so I tend to end up denying a huge amount of them. Does anyone have any tips or is there a really good firewall that would be more appropriate to my level of expertise (low!)?

#9 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

I suspect that 'the right hands' are maybe a little beyond me. Some of the permit/deny options that come up look like a foreign language and I have little knowledge of the right course of action so I tend to end up denying a huge amount of them. Does anyone have any tips or is there a really good firewall that would be more appropriate to my level of expertise (low!)?

Zone alarm free is always a big favourite with the newbies.

#10 sue2404

sue2404

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

Zone alarm free is always a big favourite with the newbies.

Thanks - I'll have a look at that or try and engage my brain and wade through the help section of Kerio!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button