My mistake

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ashy_mashy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:05 PM

I did all of the things below the stars which I was told in topic http://www.spywarein...?showtopic=8362, However the file found was called a different file to kbd.dll. I forgot to memorise what the file was called and went on deleting the value field of "AppInit_DLLs", when I went to find the file in the system32 folder I realised I dont know the name of the file. What can I do to find the name of that file again (ie. reset the AppInit_DLLs value field)

Click here to download and install Registrar Lite. Install, run, copy and paste this line to reglite's address bar:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs

Use the Registrar Lite program again. Copy and paste the key below into reglite's address bar and hit 'Go':

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Right-click on the Windows key in the left pane and rename it to something else - for example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NotWindows

DoubleClick "Appinit_Dlls" value on right pane and erase the data in the 'Value' box at the the bottom of the new pane. The data to remove will be:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\kbd.dll", hit 'Apply' and 'Ok' to set.

Rename 'NotWindows' back to 'Windows' in the left pane, close Registrar Lite and reboot the computer. If all goes well the hidden process will not run at startup and you should now be able to find and *see* the kbd.dll in C:\WINDOWS\System32.

#2 PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:26 PM

Due to the time passed ...
  • HijackThis ...
    • Double click on "My Computer" to open it.
    • Double click on the local "C-Drive" to open it.
    • Click on "File" => "New Folder" and name it HJT. i.e. The folder will be C:\HJT.
    • Please download HijackThis from any of the following locations:
    • spywareinfo.com
    • subratam.org
    • tools.zerosrealm.com
  • Install/Unzip it into C:\HJT.
  • Only run HijackThis from C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe. That way we can ensure that we have the backup files available in the event that they are needed.
  • Run HijackThis, click on scan and wait for the scan to finish.
  • The "Scan" button will change to "Save Log", click on it and simply press "Save" on the window that will appear.
  • Notepad will open with a copy of the log.
    • Click on "Edit" => "Select All".
    • Click on "Edit" => "Copy". This will copy the contents of the Notepad instance to the clipboard.
  • Please post your entire log here for analysis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button