help with finding virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChristyGirl81

ChristyGirl81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hello, I am assuming that I have managed to pick up a virus of some kind on my computer, as I am getting a whole bunch of pop-up ads anytime I do anything online. Some of the pop-ups are dirty, lots for dating sites, some just weird random stuff. I have Super Anti-spyware, Malware Bytes, and CCleaner, and just a couple of days ago got rid of AVG and got the Microsoft Security Essentials. It was suggested to me to give this a try if that didn't find anything...which it didn't...grr... So, I have my Hijack This log file, as well as the log file from Malware Bytes.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...I am very grateful! -Christina

Attached Files

Edited by ChristyGirl81, 24 November 2009 - 10:59 PM.

#2 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

Download DDS from here:
http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/dds

Double-click on the icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post the one that is not minimised.

jedi
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#3 ChristyGirl81

ChristyGirl81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

Hello, sorry I didn't see your reply right away... I tried clicking on your link, but it just brought me to a page with a bunch of unreadable mumbo jumbo, and something at the top of the page about it not being able to be run in dos mode or some such thing... um...am I missing something...? Please advise!! Thanx, Christina

#4 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hi again,

My apologies, please do the following:

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

• As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

• Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

jedi
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#5 ChristyGirl81

ChristyGirl81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi, thanks for the clarification. I downloaded combofix as requested and ran the scan or whatever. The first time I ran it, it was almost done when it came up with some blue screen that said something about Windows encountering a serious problem and was shut down to prevent damage to the machine. So I turned my computer off, restarted it, and ran the combofix program again, and it seemed to work that time. Gave me the log file anywayz.
Thanks again,
Christina

EDIT: Please post your logs directly in your posts with copy/paste... Most of our helpers will not download attachments due to the danger that someone might attempt to include an booby trap... Thank you...

Edited by Budfred, 10 December 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#6 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

Hi again,

Good, it looks like Combofix has worked well. To pick up any leftovers, I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image
jedi
jedi

#7 ChristyGirl81

ChristyGirl81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hi, I downloaded and ran the ESET scan, and it only found 1 other threat. So far, since using the Combofix program, I have not had any pop ups!!! Thank you sooooooo much!!! I have attached the log file from ESET also. Thanks, Christina

Attached Files

#8 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:38 AM

Hi again,

OK, I would say your PC looks clean. How is it running, any continuing problems?

jedi
jedi

#9 ChristyGirl81

ChristyGirl81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hey, it seems to be working good...no more pop-ups! Thanx so much! I appreciate your time, you are awesome!

Christina

#10 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:34 AM

You're welcome. :)

In order to be better protected in the future, I recommend the following programs:

SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.
http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

SpywareGuard stops Spyware from being installed.
http://www.javacools...ywareguard.html

Also install the MVPS hosts file:
http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm
which blocks innocent looking sites that are not so innocent.

All three are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

Also see
How did I get Infected?

Finally, it is best to update your system regularly, to ensure you have the latest security patches from Microsoft. Update by clicking
here http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
and following the prompts.

jedi
jedi

#11 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
jedi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button