• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 conor48

conor48

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys,

Bought a new laptop today with Windows 7. I've just installed the lastest windows updates. I'm looking for advice as to what free programs are recommended to keep my computer safe.

I've had Windows XP before and had AVG, SpywareBlaster, Spybot all installed. This new laptop comes installed with McAfee virus software. Is it recommended to d/l the same programs for Windows 7 as XP? Should I use the McAfee until its runs out or is it better to just go with AVG? And also are there any other security options I should tweak?

Which web browser would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions, not so good with the most recent technology lol but any help is apprecaited.

Thanks guys

#2 Guest_Senbonzakura_*

Guest_Senbonzakura_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

Use the McAfee until it runs out;

After that i recommend that you use ESET NOD32.

Edited by Senbonzakura, 04 December 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

If you want a different browser, then Firefox, with the NoScript extension is a good choice. there are other browsers you can use, Opera, Safari, or Google Chrome, but I can't say very much about either, as i have stuck with Firefox for years!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 conor48

conor48

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

cheers guys, i've used firefox too but think i might give google chrome a go this time!

#5 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Well you can install all of them and see which one you prefer. but with FF and the NoScript extension, you are at least moderately fireproof
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#6 conor48

conor48

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

Well you can install all of them and see which one you prefer. but with FF and the NoScript extension, you are at least moderately fireproof

i installed FF with the NoScript add on but it makes me ok every page that i visit which is a bit long..is there anyway of making it less sensitive but still effective?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button