What CAN Trojans trap?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mcdirt

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:19 AM

Great site - so far I have foud out how to setup AdAware and Spybot properly and also found out that the AVG e-mail scanner has to be downloaded and installed separately - I thought I was protected by the basic version.

After a definitions update, AVG found a Trojan on my PC (PSW.Keylogger.k). The PC had been checked and was clean several days before. The only thing I remember out of the ordinary about that time was that a ZoneAlarm alert came up telling me that Explorer was trying to act as a server and I denied access.

Anyway - AVG removed the Trojan and I have been onto all my banking sites etc, checked the balances (OK) and changed my passwords.

I'm wondering exactly what Trojans CAN do. I keep all my passwords in a password manager (Access Manager) and use cut and paste to enter all my ID, Username, Password etc into login dialogs etc. Will a Trojan still be able to capture these or is this another level of protection?

Many thanks

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:43 PM

It depends.

Some trojans can monitor keystrokes (Spector, WinWhatWhere, etc), some can act as servers for dynamic warez hosting, and some can act as a DDoS mechanism.

In your case, I think you're fine, but you may wish to switch to Firefox for browsing, as its password manager works quite nicely and loads the passwords directly into the fields when an applicable page comes up. No extra .exe files will run in Task Manager.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button