the dreaded CWS_NS3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madmax

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

my laptop was infected with CWS_NS3 and i thought i would relate my experience-maybe it will help some of you with the same problem. I run spysweeper, norton anti-virus & zone alarm pro. I have no idea how it got past but there it was! Nasty little bugger-as bad as any virus i've encountered. Spysweeper detected it and claimed to delete it, but if i ran a scan 10 min. later or restarted there it was. The .exe file changes names every time. I encountered .dat files also-associated with CWS_NS3. My version of Spysweeper is the most up-to-date version and the most recent definitions. After reading posts on here, I downloaded CWS Shredder and installed it. I then started in safe mode and ran the program. It did work-CWS Shredder removed every bit of CWS_NS3 except the memory resident part. CWS Shredder advised me to restart and then it would remove that part. I restarted in safe mode again-ran "Shredder" again and it did remove every last bit of that nasty little bugger. I would advise anyone with CWS_NS3 to try that routine-it certainly worked for me. I ran Spysweeper last night and today and I'm clean.
I hope this helps.

#2 LoPhatPhuud

Master of Disaster Recovery

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:13 PM

Download *Hijack This!*

Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder. Then, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that and copy & paste its contents here.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet. Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.
IPB Image Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005

Posted Image

When angry count four; when very angry, swear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button