some advice needed...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obsidian

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:41 AM

Hi, anyone, would just like to ask something, recently i used a utility program and it reported that i had about 2000+ .dll files....

I am tempted to remove the duplicate .dll files but is it save to do so? They duplicates are mainly in C:\I386 folder and C:\LASTGOOD....they were also last modified in the year 2001 and 2002....

quite lost here, would appreciate some expert advice... Thanks

#2 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

What program did you use?
Last good is a backup folder, its very purpose is defeated if you tamper with its content.

I would advise you to be very careful with deleting so-called duplicate files; many programs find & report duplicate files because they're almost alike.

If you are worried about disc space, one good program to try out is EasyCleaner v.2 (freeware). It includes many great cleaner tools, like registry, unecessary files, mru, history, TIF (temporary internet files). It also includes a duplicate file tool, though I never had the courage to use it, for above stated reason.

Edited by Doctor J, 05 July 2004 - 10:17 AM.

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#3 dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:58 PM

The .DLL files in the c:\I386 folder are the original installation files. These should be kept, as this is where Windows will look for them when needed.
The Lastgood folder is updated regularly, as this is what will be used when something goes wrong, and you are asked if you want to boot to last known good configuration.

Personally, rather than risk upsetting the whole installation, I would add another H/D if I were short of space.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 obsidian

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

oh.. ok.. thanks alot, guess i gotta go source for some new hardware upgrades.

thanks alot for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button