• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Auralis

Auralis

Auralis

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:47 PM

I installed ZoneAlarm because it was free from my ISP. It's ok 'cept for the tons of permissions that pop up for me to check...but I guess that means it's working and I should be grateful....

My question is....Can I use more than one firewall program?

Is one enough, will 2 be too many and slow things down? Or will they conflict?

Thanks!
B)

#2 Nick

Nick

SWI Junkie

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:24 AM

The short answer is that having more than one can cause problems, two programs fighting over which one controls access to ports and traffic. If you want more security, get a router and it will add another layer of protection for inbound traffic when coupled with a software firewall on your computer.

Here is a link to an article by Fred Langa about running more than one security application. It talks about using more than one antivirus as aswell.

http://www.langa.com...004-04-26.htm#5

Edited by Nick, 21 May 2004 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:37 AM

It's ok 'cept for the tons of permissions that pop up for me to check...

As in program permission (?); if its always the same ones over & over (repeat program), there is a "remember my decision" checkbox option to check, before allowing (or denying) permission.

Once in a while, open ZA control panel, & in Program list, you can have a look (& modify) which programs have Access permission (checkmark), which need to ask (question mark), & which are denied (X)
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 trenton1

trenton1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:17 AM

I have ZA (free) on XP, and I have the XP ICF supplied firewall running side by side, no conflict so far.
The XP one is decent for filtering stuff into your machine, and ZA lets you know what to allow out. :ph34r:

trenton

#5 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

It * might* work. But if I were you, I would rather get a router to block inbound connections,AND then use a software firewall.

This basically has all the advanatages of a XP ICF firewall + ordinary personal firewall , without any possibiliy of conflicts.

For further protection against trojans from connecting out (on top of your personal firewall), instead of using another firewall, I recommend using Systemsafemonior, abtrusion protecter, or Processguard, they will warn you if any unauthorised app starts without permission.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#6 Guitar Man

Guitar Man

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:38 PM

Another great app to have is StartupMonitor. The link is in my sig.

StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back. When you choose not to allow a program to register itself, the program's entry becomes disabled, so you can go back and enable it later if necessary. StartupMonitor watches the Start Menu's Startup folders and the Run entries in the registry.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Phil</span>
--------------------------------------------------------
Minimum "must haves":

ZoneAlarm Free - AVG 6.0 Free - Spybot S&D - SpywareBlaster - Ad-Aware - StartupMonitor - RegSeeker 1.35

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:06 AM

I think a good addition to a firewall is SSM (system safety monitor). It is an application firewall that works very well (and is FREE). But you thought you had alot of popups with Zonealarm, wait till you try this program.

#8 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

I think a good addition to a firewall is SSM (system safety monitor). It is an application firewall that works very well (and is FREE). But you thought you had a lot of  popups with Zonealarm, wait till you try this program.

Yes, SSM will have a lot of popups initially compared to firewalls. After all there will be lots more programs starting up than those that merely need to access the net. But like a firewall you can reduce these by deciding which processes to trust to start,.

Also you have to decide which processes you trust to be started by others and those which you trust to start others if you want more security. For example, I would not give any but trusted applications permission to start Internet explorer!

BTW SSM consists of actually a monitor of processes that start and a separate plug ins for monitoring auto startups.

For monitoring of auto startups, mikelin's startupmonitor is adequate though there are other choices each with their own strengths and weaknesses

see http://www.wildersse...ead.php?t=32823 for a comparison.
Included are free programs like regprot, startup monitor, SSM and spybot's teatimer.

I personally prefer SSM because you can choose which files and registry keys to monitor. So it's less limited than other startup monitors. I use spybot's tea-timer as well , so I have to configure SSM to avoid duplication of work.

Edited by Paranoid, 06 July 2004 - 11:54 AM.

Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#9 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

[/QUOTE] It * might* work [QUOTE]

Not might, it does. I've been running ICF alongside first ZAP and then Sygate for two and half years. Its multiple 3rd party firewalls that have a high chance of conflict. ICF is a XP "service" and by the evidence, front ends non-MS firewalls because there is a lot less "noise" (traffic) that ZAP or Sygate has to deal with if ICF is running.

[QUOTE] But if I were you, I would rather get a router to block inbound connections,AND then use a software firewall.

This basically has all the advanatages of a XP ICF firewall + ordinary personal firewall , without any possibiliy of conflicts. [/QUOTE]

Agreed, but not everyone is going to do this.

Later versions of XP shuts ICF off upon detection of a third party firewall, although only have seen this on Dell's. ICF runs by default on Dell, there may be other OEM's that do that as well.

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar, 02 June 2004 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button