Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:29 AM

Housecall by Trend Micro

Command On Demand

Panda Scan

BitDefender

Mcafee

RAV

Norton

I listed these so everyone can check out each one and possibly we can come up with some consensus on which ones are preffered.

I think all of them work with only IE, if any of them will support Mo, Net or Opera please point it out

The Norton Scan has a second feature that checks your protection against attacks.

The Command on demand I believe from reading will work like a plugin to allow you to scan any folder, file or your whole comp at anytime. If anyone knows anymore about this feature I would like some clarification.
Great movies to support our troops. Grouchy Media

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before windows failure. -Sun Tzu

#2 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:41 AM

I really like Trend's Housecall, you can install an IE button that makes future scans a breeze.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

Housecall will work with Firefox, if you download a plugin.

None of the other you list will.
The RAV is actually a file submission link, not a complete scan. You upload a suspect file, and they will report what is found.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 Archonn

Archonn

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:13 AM

I use NAV nearly everyday, but if I have a virus and NAV doesn't seem to care, I use Trend Micro.

#5 larrysabo

larrysabo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:17 AM

The RAV is actually a file submission link, not a complete scan. You upload a suspect file, and they will report what is found.

Not true. You just need to click "Click here" beneath the Continue button. RAV is one of the best scanners out there.

Only problem I find, is that it does't fix/delete many infections; I have to do so manualy. At least I believe that's the case; it says "Infected" beside each item it finds, even though I've checked to automatically fix/delete items. The reason I'm unsure, is because after a scan, I ran a Samantec tool to fix what it found and it said it didn't find any of the infections. The files were there and I went ahead and deleted them. should have submitted them to Kaspersky to confirm they hadn't been fixed already.

Cheers,
Larry

#6 yvonh733

yvonh733

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

My 2 cents...

When It comes to security...no one software is perfect...and they are all OK(those you mentionned)

The diversity of approach will keep you safer...check my signature for ideas

Online scan is once a week operation and I never use the same one

Have a good day... :wave:

#7 auditt

auditt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

thanks for the info mate

i have norton installed and i always get a clean sweep but when i ran trend micro i got over 120 trojans

true different scanners work differently

#8 Rogue298

Rogue298

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:42 PM

I have Norton on my system, but I occasionally do online scans...I like House Call a lot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button