Cant Remove Spyware from my Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gamex

gamex

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

My sisters friend used my computer for 10 minutes, and somehow managed to download so much spyware onto my computer it was unbelieveable. I ran Ad Aware and removed 300 cases. I still had popups so I downloaded and ran Spy Sweeper, that found more and removed them. I still had some problems, so I downloaded SpyBot. That found a few more, including that DSO Exploit thing which was a pain. (BTW, yes, I have the updated versions of everything). I even ran my antivirus program, Symantec, and it came up with nothing. I have run all 4 two times today, they came up with nothing. I still receive a popup ad every now and then.

The other problem is when I search google.com and click on a search result, a popup comes up. Example: lets say I search for games. When I click on the first result, Yahoo Games, I will be redirected there, but in a popup, the following address opens: http://www.searchres...google&ST=games and redirects automatically to http://search.lycos....p50&query=games. I went to add/remove programs and saw something called Looksmart Search and Lycos Search, I removed those thinking that was the problem but it wasnt. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

#2 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

Hi,
When it comes to hunting these critters down, it can some times feel like you are on a road that simply never ends. My usual first check point is the task manager (ctrl-alt-del), then startup (msconfig), and then the add/remove programs. What ever I see that either looks suspicious or I don't know what it's connection is, I go to the following site: www.answersthatwork.com and click on task list, followed by the first letter of what I am inquiring about. From there I may go to another site www.kephyr.com (scroll down the page a tad and click on "on-line encyclopedia) and look for the info on what you got. I do all this before I delete and my final stop depending on my information is the registry. Try what I have provided here for you and keep us posted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button